Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need DIY instructions for changing transmission fluid - Tip transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:25 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by fetus
According to the Factory manuals, Service every 40,000 km Automatic transmission: change ATF and ATF filter. And at 80,000 km you also need to change the oil in final drive. It is totally diferent than the manual trans procedure on p-car.
Transmission guard is removed and Vehicle must be on a level surface.
I pulled the pan and replaced the filter inside. I measured how much oil I drained out to give me an idea on how much I had to put back in. I put everything back together and refilled the transmission with a long rubber hose. I then used the following instructions from the factory manual to make sure I put the correct amount back in.
Engine is idling and Parking brake is pulled. Selector lever is set to "P" Check ATF temperature at 80.C The ATF fluid level must be between the MIN and MAX marks at a temperature of 80'C. I used the temperature gauge in the dash to measure the temperature.
I bought a 993 factory manual CD on ebay for $40.00. Its a pdf copy of the factory manuals.
Tks...
Old 05-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is from my post of a couple years ago when I switched to Mobil 1 ATF:
The 3.5 quarts mentioned in the manual is from dropping the pan and immediately refilling. I let the transmission drain overnight and six quarts drained. The refill process was a bit easier as well. I removed the cap from the quick fill adapter and forced a rubber hose over the nipple. The ball bearing that seals the quick fill adapter is not spring loaded so a simple a gravity fill is all you need. I attached a 2 quart funnel to the end of the hose and hung the funnel about six feet above the floor. Works very well.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:10 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dudley
This is from my post of a couple years ago when I switched to Mobil 1 ATF:
The 3.5 quarts mentioned in the manual is from dropping the pan and immediately refilling. I let the transmission drain overnight and six quarts drained. The refill process was a bit easier as well. I removed the cap from the quick fill adapter and forced a rubber hose over the nipple. The ball bearing that seals the quick fill adapter is not spring loaded so a simple a gravity fill is all you need. I attached a 2 quart funnel to the end of the hose and hung the funnel about six feet above the floor. Works very well.
Any pics?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:40 AM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the same thread regarding the hose that helped me figure out how to refill it. I also let it drain over night. Send me your fax number or email address and I will send you a scan of the manual pages. We are not suppose to post pictures of the manual or copies of the manual otherwise I would post them in this thread.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:19 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fetus
I read the same thread regarding the hose that helped me figure out how to refill it. I also let it drain over night. Send me your fax number or email address and I will send you a scan of the manual pages. We are not suppose to post pictures of the manual or copies of the manual otherwise I would post them in this thread.
Thanks, PM sent.

Quick Reply: Need DIY instructions for changing transmission fluid - Tip transmission.