so now I know why KBB and dealerships are so low on trade in value for 993

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:13 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post so now I know why KBB and dealerships are so low on trade in value for 993

so I talked to a dealership sales guy and asked what the scoop is with 993s selling higher in the marketplace than what Kbb states as resale value..

What I was told is that any car 10 years old or older cannot get financed though any bank (not sure how accurate this is) so you are looking at a cash sale transaction (paid in full) deal only so dealerships don't like to take that 'risk' on resale for used older cars.

I had never heard that reasoning before and wonder if it is 'for real' or just a dealership line.

Since we sold Eric's 993 in a day and it was indeed a cash deal, I never ran into any problems or issues with trying to go to a dealership and getting raped on trade-in.

What is interesting, however, is all the 993s this "Victory Auto Sales" dealership in TX seems to buy up (I wonder if they buy for so cheap as well and just mark up $5k to $11k on resale).

For Example: KBB is stating that my 993 is worth about $21k (which we know to be quite a bit off based on market sales -- heck, even ebay hasn't been that low for a 993 recently with higher mileage!)
Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Spuds993
Advanced

ceboyd,

I think stated correctly banks typically won't finance a car more than 10 years old, which means your 1996 can be financed, 1995 and older can't. However, there are lenders out there that have old car programs, they use a book called "cars of particular interest" (CPI) or something like that. If the car your buying shows up in this book they will finance it up to %100 of the CPI book value. My lender (a credit union) has this program available and I've used it several times.

Don't forget though that lots of buyers may also be using their home equity line of credit to purchase the car, thereby making the interest deductible for some
Old 04-25-2006, 06:35 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I financed my 1995 last year and ran into the 10 YO line at many banks. Even my CU would not finance it and I did equity line and 2 cars through them. I ended up going thru Capital One - not the most competitive but very easy to work with and made the transaction easy. In retrospect, I guess I could have financed a newer 993 thru a bank at a slightly better interest rate, but I was actually targeting a 95 to avoid potential OBD2/smog hassles (which I just went thru on my other car a few months earlier).
Old 04-25-2006, 06:42 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ah.. so it is true then.. (about the 10 year thing).. ICKY

that's just bad news
Old 04-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ceboyd

that's just bad news
To some extent.

There are a few lenders that will lend on older cars, but you have to have perfect credit with a high fico score. The dealerships captive lender will usually make exceptions for "high line" vehicles.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:32 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

that's just bad news
Why is it bad news? Most guys buying these dont need the financing and if they do, they are willing to take a slight hit on interest rate to find a bank that will finance older sports cars. Remember some banks are more than willing to throw money at guys with good FICO scores.

I financed from a cash flow perspective. The only thing I worry about is if I total the car, I will owe more than insurance will pay out. The KBB value that ins. companies use scare the crap out of me!!!!! I remember my insurance agent was suprised that the cost of ins. was so cheap on the 993.. I thought it was due to the demographic of the driver, but now Im thinking that the value of the car (according to kbb) is so much less than what I paid, that Im only partially insuring the car!!

I wonder if that is another reason banks wont touch older cars. Say you default on the loan. They are going to make a loan on a car that is > than the book value. I can see the guy at the bank - you know the gray hair gentleman in the back with the cigar - nix that idea. "If we finance this deal and 993man defaults on the loan, we wont get all our money out of it when we repossess the car!!!"
Old 04-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tj90
Why is it bad news? Most guys buying these dont need the financing and if they do, they are willing to take a slight hit on interest rate to find a bank that will finance older sports cars. Remember some banks are more than willing to throw money at guys with good FICO scores.

I financed from a cash flow perspective. The only thing I worry about is if I total the car, I will owe more than insurance will pay out. The KBB value that ins. companies use scare the crap out of me!!!!! I remember my insurance agent was suprised that the cost of ins. was so cheap on the 993.. I thought it was due to the demographic of the driver, but now Im thinking that the value of the car (according to kbb) is so much less than what I paid, that Im only partially insuring the car!!

I wonder if that is another reason banks wont touch older cars. Say you default on the loan. They are going to make a loan on a car that is > than the book value. I can see the guy at the bank - you know the gray hair gentleman in the back with the cigar - nix that idea. "If we finance this deal and 993man defaults on the loan, we wont get all our money out of it when we repossess the car!!!"
we tend to look at these cars has prized possessions....spending thousands and thousands on "mods"......banks and car dealers just look at them as metal with wheels. Cars have no intrinsic value to banks, ins companies, etc....
Old 04-25-2006, 07:39 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

that's a bit odd because I pay MORE insurance for my 993 than I do for my 02 Boxster S and the KBB value is HIGHER on the Boxster than on the 993.. go figure
Old 04-25-2006, 07:57 PM
mborkow
Drifting

I pay MORE insurance for my 993 than I do for my 02 Boxster S and the KBB value is HIGHER on the Boxster than on the 993
i think HP and wheel base play into the calculation of the premium
Old 04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mborkow
i think HP and wheel base play into the calculation of the premium

o.k.

my Boxster S is 250hp and my 993 is 282hp

not that much of a difference IMHO
Old 04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend owns a high line used car dealership...mostly Porsches, but Ferrari, Aston, etc. also...and has no problem getting financing for his buyers. The better the credit, the lower the rate, but the loans are out there. It all depends on the Charter of the bank in question. BTW, he can't get enough 993s to meet the demand.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:01 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Thats BS {typical dealer talk} about the 10 year thing. If your credit is good the banks will finance just about anything.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:06 PM
mborkow
Drifting

my Boxster S is 250hp and my 993 is 282hp
not that much of a difference IMHO
is the wheel base the same? the other difference is that, theoretically, the 993 could carry 4 people (more injuries to pay out if there is an accident)...i guess we need an actuary to explain all this to us...
Old 04-25-2006, 09:14 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jnx
Thats BS {typical dealer talk} about the 10 year thing. If your credit is good the banks will finance just about anything.
Not sure thats true. Maybe if I had a corporate account and it was a bro deal maybe. I have witnessed the 10 year rule at my CU with a FICO of 750. Not 850, but getting there... The 10YO rule is for the masses. Rules can be broken, but I dont personally know the decision makers.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:19 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tj90
Not sure thats true. Maybe if I had a corporate account and it was a bro deal maybe. I have witnessed the 10 year rule at my CU with a FICO of 750. Not 850, but getting there... The 10YO rule is for the masses. Rules can be broken, but I dont personally know the decision makers.

so I guess that means my score of 764 isn't all that great huh?

Quick Reply: so now I know why KBB and dealerships are so low on trade in value for 993