Sponsored by:

Do you lower your cars? .......

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 08:58 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Dead shocks will present a harsh ride. Have a close look at your shocks looking for ANY wetness local to the shock bodies.
For example, the right shock in my bone-yard picture:

Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
9Nine3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You all for your help.

Boy...what a great forum. I can really learn a lot.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:13 PM
993cab
Advanced

Default 993 Springs

I was thinking the same thing, but I am considering H&R's. I have never tracked, but I would like my car lowered to see how it would go with my stock (black) shocks. I like the factory ride and if I have to go with the Bilstein, then I will, but I am trying to see the best match. Will it be hard on the factory shocks?

I could go with the HD's and not the springs, but I do not know if it will lower my car.

Undecided.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:52 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 993cab
I was thinking the same thing, but I am considering H&R's. I have never tracked, but I would like my car lowered to see how it would go with my stock (black) shocks. I like the factory ride and if I have to go with the Bilstein, then I will, but I am trying to see the best match. Will it be hard on the factory shocks?

I could go with the HD's and not the springs, but I do not know if it will lower my car.

Undecided.
HD's and H&R are a great combo. If you are planing on changing the springs, do the shocks as well. Stockers are probably toast by now. Also, the amount of work or expense in labor required to replace just the spring is the same as replacing shocks and springs.

Aligment and corner balance can also add to your final bill. So, whatever you decide, do it all at once or you'll be spending the money for every choice you make.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:52 PM
grungyspeed
Instructor

9Nine3. What is your avatar? I have been staring at it and can't figure it out.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
9Nine3
Advanced

Default My Avatar....

It is a Makro shot of one of my tourbillon watch. No, I didn't take the shot.
Look at this link :

http://www.worldtempus.com/images2/g...rbillon_01.jpg

..and imagine how small that thing is.

Yes...I'm crazy about watches.

Cheers,
9Nine3
Old 04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
9Nine3
Advanced

I hope I don't bore anybody but FYI the actual size of the watch is 40mm so the size of the "thing" is even smaller than the one in the picture.

ps: You have a cute boy, grungyspeed; I have three of them myself :-)
Old 04-25-2006, 11:41 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 427 Posts

I have Bilstein HD's with H&R springs. The ride differential between that and my former stock set up is minimal I my opinion and the car handles substantially better. One of the only drawbacks is that the car bottoms out on the front splitter on steeper driveways and on the odd bump. Considering where I live and the utterly atrocious conditions of the roads here its not bad at all. Another drawback is the expense of getting it done, my mechanic had a helluva time aligning and corner balancing the car when done.As I'm sure many others would recommend, get the front protection bar for Carnewal. On the whole I would do it again without thinking twice.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:02 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Just note that Bilstein HD's with H&R springs will be a significantly stiffer ride than stock setup, especially with the stock setup being worn out.

If you are not going to track the car and want a comfy ride, I would not go the Bilstein HD's with H&R spring route. Just my 0.02 cents. Most Rennlisters are into increasing the performance characteristics of the car and why most of the reccommended suspension set ups are stiffer than stock.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:01 PM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
The spring rate of your old springs and the M033 are essentially the same. What you are probably noticing is the newer shocks (which I assume you got OEM shocks again??).
No. I bought the MO33 springs and sways, along with the HD's which allow extra lowering. I set it up 10 mm lower than ROW per Gert's instructions.

Don't get me wrong, I like how it rides; it's the GF whose not pleased with it's harsher ride. My old shocks were COMPLETELY shot at 45k miles, and as you noted, the fresh new HD's will feel comparitively harsher on compression, versus the oil-less originals.

Quick Reply: Do you lower your cars? .......