Sponsored by:

Cabriolet questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Peqoud
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet questions

I am in the market for a 993 Cab (or coupe actually - on the fence). Just looked at a '95 stock with a grey top with 30k on the clock. Great condition. But I don't have a garage presently. Anyone park their cab in the elements right now? Am I crazy for doing so? The top has some wear but the rear plastic window is in excellent shape. He's asking 38K for it. Seems a little high - especially if I have to replace the top any time soon. Brakes and rotors have been replaced within 5K miles.

Anyone recommend a good place for a PPI in the OC California? I am in Laguna Beach. Thanks as always for your advice. Hopefully I will be an owner here too..
Old 04-22-2006, 02:26 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be aware that the 95 cab has a design flaw in the top that will result in premature wear holes...you should ask if the top has ever been replaced. You can replace the top for $1000-1500. FYI, I keep my 94 993 cab outside (unfortunately) under a cover in Hong Kong, which has pretty harse elements (hot, humid and polluted).
Old 04-22-2006, 02:45 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

By the way, with 30K miles, asking $38,ooo is not high. In fact, if you can get it for $38,ooo, that's a fair deal (assuming no other major issues).

Many 30K mile cars are advertising in the $40's currently.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1995's top was replaced 40k miles and 4 years ago and still looks like new.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

My '95 cab has no holes and original top! The car your looking at should have been in for the recall for the top motors (you can check by calling Porsche and asking about open recalls for the car if you ahve the VIN. Re a PPI - search this site and you'll find several threads on PPI suggestions in OC. There is one name that comes up all the time that starts with an "H" but I don't know how to spell it.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:08 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hergesheimer in Lake Forest... 949.458.7223. No affiliation, other than a satisfied repeat customer...
Old 04-23-2006, 06:16 PM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

I keep my '95 C2 cab parked outside since I lack a garage. To me, it's better to have and drive a 993 now than wait until some imaginary point in the future when I have a house with a garage. The paint was not great when I purchased the car, but it looks beautiful due to the polish I use. When the garage comes along, I'll get a respray.

The previous owner had a problem with the cables that raise and lower the roof. She had them replaced but not before the length difference between the cables (caused by stretching) had torn a little hole in the top. At the same time, one of the internal trusses must have bent or broken, since I ended up having that repaired and a new top installed about a year ago.

I think that owning a 993 cab means accepting that, sooner or later, you are going to drop several thousand dollars on repairs. You can postpone that by changing the roof so that you must raise and lower it manually, but that gets to be a pain after a while. Still, every morning that it is not raining (which means pratically every morning in SoCal) it is great to drive in to work with the wind whipping past my ears.

The only other thing you might want to consider is if you care to get into AX or DE. I AX my car frequently and have a great time, but a coupe is more rigid and weighs less. DE would require getting a rollbar installed, and the other performance limitations would remain.

Good luck.

-John

Quick Reply: Cabriolet questions