Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I were to sell my beloved TIP 993, part out or sell as is?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:35 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I've started looking back into consulting. I did that for a year after my first 'shock' layoff after 8 years at Grainger and am not opposed to it.

I'm not up for relocation right now though guys so thanks for the offers and insight elsewhere but right now we need to stay put here in Chicagoland for family reasons.

Eventually my parents will permanently relocate to Phoenix and at that time (3 years from now when my mom retires and can get medicare) we might head out west to that area but for now Eric's mom and my folks are still here in the Chicagoland area.

And the more I think about it, the more I think I'd rather just retire the 993 from track duty and store it away in Phoenix as it is indeed true that NOT using it means no expensive maintenance to worry about but track duty means MORE than normal maintenance expendatures.

PLUS I can't think of a more ideal climate control storage than rust-free phoenix and my parents would just not need both stalls of their 2 car garage there for at least 3 years

I have to go for my smog test this year and then I'm o.k. for another 2 so that basicly gives me 2 worry free years of deciding to sell or bring back to Chicago/Illinois and get re-tested. + I'd hate to give up my 'NO WATER' vanity plate

..but for now, for this summer, I'm going to enjoy this track season (just not as much DEing as I did in the past but still, this season is looking like the last for my beloved 993)
Old 04-21-2006, 01:55 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have bought and sold many cars in my day, but only experienced a sense of loss when I sold a 911 so I know what you are feeling.
It's a hard decision and you will find there are days you will regret selling it, but the silver lining is, "once my financial life changes, which 993 should I buy?".

As an example, I was Porscheless from September of 99' to August of last year due to financial reasons (college tuition) but I kept the faith and now there's a 993 in my driveway again.

I sincerely wish you the best of Luck in finding employment that will allow you the financial means to come back or stay in the fold.

Zombie Porsche 44
Old 04-21-2006, 02:49 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yes, it would indeed be very bittersweet if I say goodbye to my 993 and I think I'd cringe if it went to a bad home (I know that sounds silly) but this car has been so good to me!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:27 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ceboyd
Sure.. of course..

I'm in IT - Project Manager

Most experience with Enterprise Systems (Mainframe IBM) but also worked on web project management (grainger.com project manager for 6 months)

..and some client server projects as well
Have you thought about a tech consulting firm? or are you trying to avoid that type of thing?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cris, I truely hope that your employment situation improves very soon so you don't have to sell your beloved 993.....I noticed from your signature, that you also have 2 other cars....Have you considered parting with one of those, perhaps the Boxster ??

Best of luck with your decision....
Old 04-21-2006, 03:56 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Cris, I truely hope that your employment situation improves very soon so you don't have to sell your beloved 993.....I noticed from your signature, that you also have 2 other cars....Have you considered parting with one of those, perhaps the Boxster ??

Best of luck with your decision....

thanks.. but I love the boxster S as well and the depreciation on that hurts me MORE (it stickered at $55k when we purchased it brand new and I doubt I can get even $40k now despite having only 8k miles and many nice mods and never having it tracked or autocrossed) and the R32 is my daily driver (hauler) but I have toyed with the idea of selling it as well...

I looked and it seems 2002 Boxster S resale value is around $35k for a high and many more around $30k and I just can't bear the thought of that huge a loss on resale on that car which I also love and is really more of a concourse condition vehicle and has probably $8k worth of goodies invested on it as well..

..and I love having a convertible (silly again I know)

..and yes, I thought about the idea of swapping my 993 and the Boxster S for a 993 cabrio as well but then decided against that option too...

I dunno.. maybe I will part with the Boxster S as well... we'll see....
Old 04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pcar964
Have you thought about a tech consulting firm? or are you trying to avoid that type of thing?
I have not ruled them out at all.. I worked for 6 years for one based in Dallas but I worked on accounts here in Chicagoland... that is what my most recent layoff is from --- they outsourced me to India
Old 04-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

This India outsourcing is really scary. I think it's only a matter of time for many other professions. The lower cost comes with high loss of quality and service.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:20 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ty Smith
This India outsourcing is really scary. I think it's only a matter of time for many other professions. The lower cost comes with high loss of quality and service.
yes indeed.. The last 2 years of working there I saw many co-workers disappear (some of the worst situations were co-workers who spent 3 months in India training their replacments)

..and don't even get me started with how frustrated and mad I get when I have to talk to someone in India about my PC support or anything computer related
Old 04-21-2006, 04:30 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris

I'll add my voice the many that have advised you - dont sell the 993 !
My wife's job was eliminated/downsized/outsourced by 2 companies in the last 3 years. She and our daughter are now working together now restoring an older house. She has more power tools than me and is becoming quite the contractor. Here is something to consider - sell the R32 and get something more economical. Thats why I bought the 325IX - to transfer some equity from my TDI. So now we're looking for a pickup truck for her and we'll probably sell both the TDI and the IX, but we're keeping the Porsches, and of course her Cabrio.
I'm sure things will work out jobwise for you.

Last edited by steve g; 04-22-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:23 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
yes indeed.. The last 2 years of working there I saw many co-workers disappear (some of the worst situations were co-workers who spent 3 months in India training their replacments)

..and don't even get me started with how frustrated and mad I get when I have to talk to someone in India about my PC support or anything computer related

I experienced a similar scenario two years ago at a client site. Truely awful, employees some with 18+ years training there replacements who btw were fresh out of college and were being paid $5k US..that's right 5K per year..the managers were making $15k..and the hotshots who flew back and forth 35k..and ofcourse you had the American manager making the big bucks...eech. Bank Of America, most if not all IT gone overseas, SLMA and I could go on and on..... Actually two years ago there was a rally that on labor day you were suppose to go to every Bank of America ATM machine and stick phony dollar bills. Sorry bout the rant but reading this brings back memories...

On the upside it looks like some jobs are returning. Too many communication problems and time differences. And once the overseas folks return, they tend to jump from company to company to increase there salary, and out the door goes the knowledge base.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:39 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

WOW.. I was told my replacment in India was making only pennies on the dollar compared to me but I had no idea it was that cheap of a labor pool... no wonder IT is leaving this country .... why should companies pay american's who speak the language and and communicate properly here in the US when their bottom line (and payback to stockholders, etc.) is so much better with a cheaper labor pool
Old 04-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Miguel
Pro

Guys I just popped in this thread and forum ( am a 964er ) but I feel the need to take my hat off for all you guys...you guys really did build a "community"..

all the luck to you Ceboyd.. believe me, Europe's much worse than the States...your economy hasn't stalled, there will be jobs...there will allways be jobs for good and competent people...and you guys, stateside, are not affraid of mooving from one place to the other, from Chicago to Austin...that is an upside of your way of facing life....it is a definite plus.

I hope all goes out for the best...

again, forgive the intrusion..

cheers
Miguel
Old 04-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the words, Miguel. No intrusion at all!

We hate it when one of our own has to sell and possibly stop contributing to the boards.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Consider

Selling the Boxster S....it is a depreciating commodity Porsche....unfortunately it is only special to you and once the factory warranty goes; it is worth less in MO.....If I were you I'd take the cash and hire a quality out placement firm..as you probably know only about 50% of available jobs are listed for the public...it may cost you $5,000 plus but you need help now......

I understand the value of the 993 to you....We only live once.....keep it and think of it as an investment...A GOOD ONE

Best Wishes

Quick Reply: If I were to sell my beloved TIP 993, part out or sell as is?