Sponsored by:

What's Your Favorite Oil Filter Wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:09 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
Default What's Your Favorite Oil Filter Wrench?

I noticed a few drops of oil on my garage floor, so I jacked up the 993 and checked the small oil filter, and sure enough, the bottom of it was wet with oil. I'm goosey about overtightening oil filters, having had a couple of bad experiences with this in the past, so I tend to err on the side of caution. I got out my trusty Snap-On three-prong "spider" oil filter wrench, and tightened the filter about a quarter-turn. That was probably enough, but referring to the Chili Pepper Theory of "Some is good, More is better, Too much is just right", I gave it another quarter-turn, which was followed by oil dripping from the filter. There just isn't enough clearance around the filter for the arms of this wrench to rotate fully, and when it binds, it crunches into the side of the filter, results: instant hole. Luckily I had another filter on hand to replace the damaged one.

I'd like to get a better socket-type wrench that fits snugly on the end of the filter, maybe the one shown here: http://p-car.com/diy/changeoil/Pic24_FilterWrench2.jpg
Does anyone know what make this is, and where to get it?

Does anyone have a favorite that works well for the small filter?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:30 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Bobby,
I have that exact filter wrench (the one you referenced, not the Snap-On version) and purchased it through Sunset.

Andreas
Old 04-21-2006, 12:39 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a simple plastic/composite type from the local auto parts store. Seems pretty durable, but surely not Snap-on quality. Fortunately, I didn't have a problem with an overtighted filter when I bought the car. What I like most is that it's thin. It fits around the filter & oil line so oil line removal is not necessary. About $8 from Kragen.

Because it works well & is inexpensive, it's my favorite.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:18 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the 3 prong wrench, I put silicone on the tops and edges and it won't hurt the filter. You can also try tape on the prongs. Chris
Old 04-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by epj993
I've got a simple plastic/composite type from the local auto parts store. Seems pretty durable, but surely not Snap-on quality. Fortunately, I didn't have a problem with an overtighted filter when I bought the car. What I like most is that it's thin. It fits around the filter & oil line so oil line removal is not necessary. About $8 from Kragen.

Because it works well & is inexpensive, it's my favorite.
I have same thing except that it's metal. Also from local autostore (take new filter with you so you get the right size).
It uses 1/2" ratchet end, very easy to use, snug enough so it's tight and stays up there.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:06 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I actually bought this filter wtrench from a porsche mechanic in the OC. Im sure you can find it at the usual suspect porsche parts houses. I bought it specifically for my p-car. In case you cant read from the pic its a Hazet H 2169, 74.4 mm / 27 mm or 3/8" drive wrench. The 3/8 drive is very handy when you have to use an extension to get the smaller filter out.
Attached Images  

Last edited by tj90; 04-21-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a reason why you're only supposed to hand-tighten the oil filters, you'll generate too much torque with a wrench and damage the filter housing.

By far, my favorite wrench is the 3-prong type, even removes damaged filters.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:54 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Heard about this little dandy in one of the million previous threads on the subject, don't even have to remove the piping to get the secondary filter off.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:57 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by p_carfan
Heard about this little dandy in one of the million previous threads on the subject, don't even have to remove the piping to get the secondary filter off.

Yep, thats the one I use, got it from Sears and you don't have to remove anything except the rear wheel.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

I have used a Craftsman filter wrench, no. 46952, for years. This is a two-prong clamp-style filter that works on the tank and engine filter.

This works ONLY for removal, and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A WRENCH BE USED TO TIGHTEN A FILTER!!!!!! I STRICTLY hand-tighten, using a rubber non-slip pad designed for jar lid removal. I made the mistake of not following this recommendation and following what was said on the filter, which said to "hand tighten, then tighten another 1/2 turn". Well, on removal, this filter absolutely refused to move; I had to destroy it and creatively use a Dremel Moto-Tool to remove it (see pretty picture).

Old 04-21-2006, 10:05 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks, Ray. The rubber non-slip pad is a great idea. I can't seem to get enough grip on the small filter with my bare hand.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Sears and buy the $12 three prong filter tool. It works on both filters. Nuf said!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:06 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

yup, 3 prong is my favorite too.

Quick Reply: What's Your Favorite Oil Filter Wrench?