Sponsored by:

sequence for cab top ?Logic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:52 PM
David Schiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile sequence for cab top ?Logic?

Been going crazy with it. had the ECU redone before i knew of cold/broken joints. Been looking for the sequence and found it on Pelican, iThas helped me and maybe others. Also got some good infromation from Loren at systems consulting: here is what i learned.
My thanks to Loren, Herr Juvat, Pelican and everyone else.

From Pelican/ Mr Juvat:
OK, in a few easy steps Kind of like a computer programming flowchart:

1. Button is pushed to open top - IF microswitches in top are depressed AND upper OR Lower microswitch on passenger side transmission is NOT depressed, THEN rotate locking motors to open position. Microswitches Inside locking motors send signal to turn "top is up" warning light on.

2. IF Microsiwtches in top bar are open AND microswitchs on passenger side transmission are not depressed, turn on electric motors in back of car, retracting top.

3. IF bottom microswitch on passenger side transmission is depressed, AND Microswitches inside locking motor indicate latched unlocked, AND microswitches on top bar are open THEN Stop cabriolet top retracting and turn off "top is open" light

To Close:

Button is pushed: IF # 3 above still applies, turn transmissions the other way. Until one of the following happens.

1. Top microswitch on transmission top is depressed - top stops immeditely, regardless of top position

2. IF microswitches in top bar are depressed AND top microswitch on transmission is NOT depressed, turn locking motors to 'Lock" position until internal microswitch in locking motor indicates "lock", then turn out "top is open" light.

Your problem with your top is you have a bad locking motor - it is not sending the proper signal to secure your top. They are easy to replace - but unfortunately a bit pricy.

AFJuvat
AFJuvat <member.php?s=&action=mailform&userid=4535> <member.php?s=&action=mailform&userid=4535>

Easy enough to do. You will need a phillips screwdriver and a 5mm allen wrench.

On either corner of the top bar, you will see 2 phillips screws - remove them. If you have an older cab (80s - early 964) - you have the "grab handles" on either end of the bar - the handles are NOT removable.

After teh phillips screws are removed, the cover is just held in with spring clips - tug on the padding covering the bar - it should come off - you may have to work it around the grab handles if you have them.

You will then see the locking motors and the microswitches (the switches are those plastic rollers you see on the front of the bar, just outside of the locking motors) The microswitches themselves rarely go bad or need replacement. Where you have your problem is in one of the locking motors - on the older motors, the switch inside it wears out - thus not giving the proper signal to open or close completely. on the later cars - (late 964 - 993) the brass gear inside the motor shears a tooth or two off, causing the same problem.

WARNING!!!: Use extreme care removing the locking motor. In the process of removing it (with the top up) you will have to use the switch to open or close the top partially. If one locking motor is moving slower than the other, the transmissions may still get the signal to start moving before the locating pins have cleared the windshield frame. Watch the top carefully and STOP if one side snags on the windshield frame.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information

Remove the carpeted panel where the top arm comes from on the passenger side (two Philips screws). You will be able to see the transmission for the top. There are two microswitches which will stop the motors when the arm contacts them and closes the circuit. Figure out which one is in play when the top is in the down position, and try adjusting its position so you have a further range of motion before the motor shuts off. Be careful and ready to take your finger off the switch if it goes too far, the motors are very strong.

Also, make sure the two large pins are not interfering with the top fabric; if so, it's not folding properly and will not sit all the way down. The pins will poke the fabric and you'll see two indentations toward the back of the side windows. This will eventually pierce the top fabric if not attended to.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
I think the above corresponds to the 993, but it was not so stated and i do not know how to post a link or i would have.

I also learned that the ECU gets info from the two microsw. on the header
from the two microsw. in the locking motors[the wires that come out of the gear housing]

one down and one up limit switches.
Thank you Loren and Mr. Juvat.
David Schiff

Quick Reply: sequence for cab top ?Logic?