Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you get a rear end alignment every time you replace rears??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:19 AM
p-car11
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you get a rear end alignment every time you replace rears??

New owner needing to replace the rears very soon. No track use. Car drives
straight, no issues. L rear is slightly more worn than R especially on outer edge of tread. Was just planning on getting two new rears and motoring on, unless the consensus ( if there can be one on this board) is that you should get an alignment with each replacement of rears. Thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 12:26 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess this depends on what history or records of recent alignments you have.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I get an alignment maybe once a year, sometimes longer, and chew my way through approx. three sets of tires a year. My tires wear fairly evenly. IMO, no need to get an alignment before a tire change unless the old tires wore out strangely or you whacked something.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:48 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i do DE days (used to go to autocross too) so a few times a year but when it was mainly just a street car (just 1 de and autocross as a beginner in DE), I only got one alignment after it was 3 years old and it's 3rd set of tires and at that time I got just a little more agressive with camber from the factory setting of -1 to -1.5 or something like -1.75 (something very conserative to me).. but seemed very aggressive at the time...

right now I'd never suggest my alignment for a daily driver... it's downright scary in rain
Old 04-14-2006, 12:50 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by p-car11
L rear is slightly more worn than R especially on outer edge of tread.
I'd get the alignment checked when you get the tires replaced. Outer edge wear is unusual on these cars... at least to me. Let me guess... you still have the stock suspension?

I get an alignment when 1) the tires wear unevenly or 2) I don't like how the car handles.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:07 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kkim
I'd get the alignment checked when you get the tires replaced. Outer edge wear is unusual on these cars... at least to me. Let me guess... you still have the stock suspension?

I get an alignment when 1) the tires wear unevenly or 2) I don't like how the car handles.

yes.. If I remember my alignment education correctly, outside edge wear is too much toe in on a stock street driven car (unless you wanna go over my head and get into thrust angle or some other fancy alignment term I don't understand).

I understand camber and toe (pigeon toe or dancer feet is how I visualize toe in or toe out)
Old 04-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Hi Jim,

I guess I put on approx. 2400 track miles a year and have been using MPSC's almost exclusively for the past three years or so. Just two weeks ago, I purchased eight 285 Hoosiers directly from the manufacturer and will start running Hooisers for the next year or two. In the past, though, I've bought my MPSC's either from Tire Rack, ebay (new tires, never used) or Jackson Dawson Motorsports, a Michelin supplier who comes to the bigger club races

Quick Reply: Do you get a rear end alignment every time you replace rears??