Sponsored by:

My spiffy new REAR Sway bar links are installed now :) - pics included

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 08:42 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My spiffy new REAR Sway bar links are installed now :) - pics included

So Eric was able to make me some very nice custom links. They ended up costing a bit more than the RS links but I like the end result!

I forgot to take the camera for when it was up on the lift so you'll have to exuse these from the ground photos I tried to get for ya'll.
Attached Images       
Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice Ceboyd.

Scott
Old 04-13-2006, 09:18 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice
Old 04-13-2006, 09:55 PM
993inNC
Race Car

What was rubbing on you CV axle (in that first picture)?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 993inNC

are you maybe talking about the mark in the dust/dirt from the glove on his hand when moving the bar out of the way to install the link?

no rub marks.. just dust and track grime on the undercarriage I haven't cleaned up yet... ...so easy to make marks with gloves...
Old 04-13-2006, 10:59 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

oh wait.. I think I see what you mean.. that is from when the old RS link broke off and hung out there.... it wasn't bad at all.. very minor considering how catastrophic the whole situation could have been...
Old 04-13-2006, 11:57 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Ah....yeah thats what I figured. Did a job, cause those two parts typically don't get even close to one another.....thing really must have let go hard under quite a stress.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:02 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ah....yeah thats what I figured. Did a job, cause those two parts typically don't get even close to one another.....thing really must have let go hard under quite a stress.
I made a hard right turn and heard this awful sound (can't even begin to describe it).. then immedialy slowed way down and drove a cool down to the exit... parked and found the problem... it was during a test 'n tune the night before... so my dE for the next day didn't happen.. I only instructed the next day and drove home cautiously and acted like i was driving a big SUV that could tip over on exit ramps
Old 04-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Chris,

It looks like the rod end is very close to the shock bracket...or is it the picture angle.

On the PSS-9 installation, the link is supposed to be mounted between the shock and the bracket. That would be outboard of the install in your pictures. With the PSS-9 having it outboard (between the shock and the bracket) reduces the moment on the bracket so it has less force to unscrew the bracket from the shock. That was the reason for the double nuts...anyhow...does it clear OK? If not you could remount them and it looks like they would have more clearance.

Cheers
Old 04-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool Hmmmm...I'll have to wait for Viper Bob...

With PSS 9s and TRG sway bars, I need curvred rear drop links. So far the 993RS drop links have been fine...I zhad better get a spare pair, maybe.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:22 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993
Hey Chris,

It looks like the rod end is very close to the shock bracket...or is it the picture angle.
No thats just a threaded eyelet/pivot bearing type, what comes with the PSS9's is more like a tierod end joint. And speaking of which, your latter comment can't be right, it doesn't fit inside the bracket, iit bolts to the outside........at least it better.....thats the way I have mine

On the PSS-9 installation, the link is supposed to be mounted between the shock and the bracket. That would be outboard of the install in your pictures. With the PSS-9 having it outboard (between the shock and the bracket) reduces the moment on the bracket so it has less force to unscrew the bracket from the shock. That was the reason for the double nuts...anyhow...does it clear OK? If not you could remount them and it looks like they would have more clearance.

Cheers
Old 04-14-2006, 12:23 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't have PSS9 suspension... I have this oddball H&R ROOCK system... There is good clearance (very good actually)... it's just the super wierd angle and you just don't get any depth perception from the viewpoint I took them of(from the ground with the camera tilted up in a guestimate position).... I could have (and should have) gotten much better pics from when it was up on the lift.. oh well..

I had the 'curved' RS loops.. and they provided maybe 1/8" more clearance...

Notice I have the 'end' setting on the tRg swaybar.. I found the other middle or smallest setting too tight for my driving style so the end (loosest) setting works best for me and my level of driving so it provides the most clearance.. I think if I wanted the tightest setting, I'd be forced to use ONLY the curved RS ones (OR other Curved custom ones)
Old 04-14-2006, 12:25 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

In last two pics, your rod-ends are really close to the bar and mount. Best would be to space them off a washer or two (close tolerance washer) to enable the rod end to rotate axially. Otherwise, they look just fine.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:26 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No thats just a threaded eyelet/pivot bearing type, .....

yes, that is correct..

Old 04-14-2006, 12:26 AM
993inNC
Race Car

CE, what camber do you run? That av. looks like quite a bit in the rear.

Quick Reply: My spiffy new REAR Sway bar links are installed now :) - pics included