993 Forum 1995-1998

Where are 993 owners putting Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 12:39 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a relatively inexpensive Alpine headunit ($265 or so) that supports the iPod interface and the stock hi-fi enclosures in my 95 C4. It has Alpine's MX Media Expander built in, which greatly enhances the low end and highs on a given recording, and it sounds terrific, plenty of low end and crisp highs. Understand that I've owned numerous 911s, and done everything from spending $2000 installing Rod Birch's subs with the separate amp and JL Audio drivers in two previous cars, plus putting Focals in the doors and using an Infinity Basslink powered sub in the rear seat in my last two 993s ... and this system sounds just as good as any of them to me. I'm a professional musician, I like bass, I know what sounds good ... and this is perfectly adequate for a 911 and it's all in the head unit. That's using the stock Nokia speakers which are widely regarded as crap. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't listen to it every day, but it sounds great. Before you change the speakers or add the subs, try one of these headunits first. Is it as good as my B&W home system with the Paradigm subwoofer? No. But is it good enough for a moving 911 and listening to rock music? Yessir.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:00 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

95C4993 -

I agree with you - the stereo does suck. I'm in the process of designing a new system for my car. I would strongly advise you to contact Rod Birch (www.caraudioinnovations.com) for the subs, if not for the entire system. Rod is more than just super-nice, he's also friendly, helpful, and will go out of his way to help.

Regarding those who choose to listen to their engines and concentrating on tracking their cars - I love to watch you guys/gals do it, and I'll cheer you on from the sidelines.
For those (cmoss, luisjr993) who think that a car stereo equates with a booming, blasting, annoying system, you obviously haven't heard a quality system with a soundstage to rival a home theatre.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:57 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have spoke with Rod Birch and he's VERY helpful. Im not looking for a bass thumping, windows down, look at me Im cool, but rather a quality set up. Granted I will probably get that quality but why not compliment a quality car with quality sound? I rarely listen to music at home and have a nice system and the only time I really listen to music is when Im in the car. I have a nice set up (Diamonds/Bazooka built in sub, and JLA 600watt amp) in my Explorer and its so hard to go from excellant quality to border line, drive me nuts sound in my 993. So, we spend thousands on wheels and performance upgrades so why not add a little to the stereo?

Thanks for all the insight and feedback and any other set ups and pics are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:35 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not in the 993
Old 04-13-2006, 02:57 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsches suck when it comes to stereos so I understand your desire to upgrade. As for me, I only turn mine on when I'm parked, otherwise it interferes with the sound of the engine.
ZP44
Old 04-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I just put in a Sony h/u, Focals all around and amp and had intended to put in a sub and now I'm not so sure I need it. I was really surpised at the low end.

As refence my home system is Krell, Crown, B&W 801's and VMPS sub (active 15" and 12" and passsive 15") for an fully extended bottom end.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:30 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Dual Subs

FYI........
Old 04-13-2006, 09:40 PM
tobyport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subwoofers are essential to any above average hi-fi system. You will not get the most out of your component speakers if you don't have the sub's. Rod Birch offers great service and a great set up...not the least expensive, but the least problems and first class customer support...the subs do take up space behind the seats and slightly limit the seat travel. An alternative would be the Clarion sub enclosure that will possibly fit under the passenger seat (if your car is NOT equipped with the factory hi-fi sound or upgraded power seat). I haven't tried this, but it would be an alternative to teh dual 8" subs from Car Audio Innovations.
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM
scat
Racer

Ok guys,now that Ive got the subwoofers and I got"50cent" cranked up where do I get the24" spinners(wheels) for my porssssh?
Old 04-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Bladz
Advanced

Default My System is Wonderful!

I also spoke with Rob a few weeks ago but opted to build a box of my own like he has on his site and save the $$$. It cost me $19 for wood and carpet and about 30 mins. Rob said the complete sealed box he use to offer did not sound good so I did a top piece and a front panel for 6" subs. My system is wonderful and the guys at the local audio shop were amazed.

I am a jazz guy and can't stand a booming system...I want to hear the smallest tap of a piano string and the breathe of a vocal. I did a lot of homework on my system and what I ended up with is an Alpine CDA 7990 with an Ipod connection and XM. MB Quart QSD 216 6.5 Component System in the doors Powered by a Brax X2400 Amp, MB Quart QSD 164 Add a Woofer system Dual 6.5 woofers behind the seats and powered by a Helix Amp. The system sounds great! Not too high and not the silly booms. Crystal clear! Love it! The wife keeps on catching me sitting in the car in the garage with XM 70 or 75 with the volume at 20.

No need for rears since I am all about the staging area! I was also suprised how good the oem Nokia speakers sounded with an amp and Alpine head unit.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:35 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Ok guys,now that Ive got the subwoofers and I got"50cent" cranked up where do I get the24" spinners(wheels) for my porssssh? [/QUOTE]

I dont get where subwoofers, 50cent and spinners have anything to do with quality sound? If thats a stereotype, you are confused.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:47 AM
scat
Racer

95 c4 993 sounds like you bought the wrong car.Air cooled 911s are noisy cars to start with(Ilove it).
Trying to drawn the engine sound with subwoofers its defeating the purpose.
Others tryied to make you aware of it in previous posts but you keep ignoring it.
If you really want performance we really have a lot of knowledgeable people around here.If you want subwooooo info I think you should check toyota honda et al boards.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:24 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Mr. Scat,

Im not obsessed with my car enough to married and to the engine sound like a dog loves a bone. Thats going a little to overboard in some bizzare fetish for a sound of a vehicle to be bought for a the sound. At the end of the day, its a car not an obsession. Yes, but maybe there is that thing called music that also sounds good from time to time. I guess your perception of performance, quality and sound in vehicles are Toyotas and Hondas if thats how you feel. My next door neighbor kid whos 17 drives a nice Lexas and has a nice stereo. Maybe I should tell him to buy a Honda because subwsoofers dont belong a Lexas. Your concept of "we have a lot of knowlegable people around here" sounds like wannabe comment from someone who is young and probalby doesnt even own a Porsche. Actually, Im looking at Landcruiser to purchase and I will put a subwooo (where ever that term comes from in the juvenille world) and rock on! Now please excuse me, Im going to go start my Porsche and listen the engine and sing along and tap my hand to the growl while I dream about Honda Civics with the Fast and Furious being played in the background.

Lets see some pics of your car and your set up. "We have a lot of knowlegable people around here" and maybe we can help you with your stereo.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:04 PM
thevenet
Advanced

It's clear that some folks on the board don't actually appreciate music. Subwoofers do not a hip-hop, college-student vehicle make. Accurate bass is an absolute essential if you actually want to appreciate music. The most juvenile thing about this thread is the need for some people to pontificate about how they know the best way to utilize a Porsche. Maybe each individual should enjoy the vehicle that they bought with their own money. The real travesty here is that so many people feel the need to be negative rather than simply move on to a different thread.

Regarding systems: As many have mentioned, Rod's set-up seems perfect for the 993. I have the Nakamichi, Focals, Audisson(sp?)amp, and woofer enclosures. It makes for a very clean and great sounding set-up. Amazingly enough I can actually turn the radio off when I want to hear the sweet engine music.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:28 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

thevenet-You summed it up perfectly. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Where are 993 owners putting Subwoofers