Sponsored by:

993 Hi Fi Radio Wiring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:37 PM
tobyport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Hi Fi Radio Wiring Questions

Please help with radio wiring diagram questions that I can't get answered from studying the factory manual. I understand the power, switch, and ground wires, however, I am trying to determine the:
black wire to white wire (factory connector), another white wire, separate green wire, and finally the sleeve of speaker wires, gray, green, pink, yellow, brown. It doesn't seem like I have enough pos/neg speaker wires. Please explain.

This car is equipped with the factory Hi-Fi system. Thanks in advance for helping me to get it right!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Unfortunately I am a visual kind of guy. And even then, I probably couldn't help. However, you can contact Becker of North America at 16 Park Way, Upper Saddle River, N.J, 07458 (201) 327-3434 (888) 423-3537 info@harmanbecker.us. Or, post the question on the Becker board at http://www.beckerautosound.com/beckerboard/. Good luck....
Old 04-12-2006, 07:23 AM
carrera79
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi,
i'll try to make a scann of the original manual that i have (in french, but you can get the colours)
fred
Old 04-12-2006, 05:53 PM
tobyport
Instructor

Default 1996 993 hi-fi wiring

Thanks guys...I have the wiring diagram, but what I don't understand is why I don't have enough speaker wires...I don't have the original radio, so I am trying to interpret what the previous installer did when the previous aftermarket radio was installed...any additional help would be appreciated!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:45 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

so did the previous radio get installed with a connetcor on the harness, or did he cut the connector and go with butt connectors? just want to know if there is a connector out there
Old 04-12-2006, 10:59 PM
tobyport
Instructor

The previous installer cut out the factory harness...and did a poor job matching up the wires that are fed to the amp. If I knew what each wire in the harness that feeds to the amp were I could take it from there...I am having trouble sorting it out by looking at the Porsche factory wiring diagram.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:50 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The white wire is for the antenna amp. Do you have the DIN (round connector end) cable that runs from the amp up to the radio? There is only 5 speaker wires in this harness. They split up internally inside the amp to go to the various speakers. You should have plug A, which is Black, for all the power/ grounds etc, and with the hifi system you should have plug D, which is yellow that has the 5 speaker wires you mentioed. Not sure exactly what you are asking after that.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:41 AM
tobyport
Instructor

rattlsnak--thank you for the post....the problem is that the previous installer cut the harness from the amp and all I have left is the sleeve of speaker wires, gray, green, pink, yellow, brown. One of the additional wires that I mentioned in the original post is the amp power on wire...but there is still another green wire that is routed from a different location behind the dash...it has no power...can't determine what it is for. I hate cleaning up someone else's mess! ...can't believe they cut the factory wiring harness.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Madridcab
Instructor

The green may be for alarm - earth connection, you can probably ignore...
Old 04-13-2006, 08:51 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

there are two wires going to the antenna amp, but the diagram does not say what color the second wire is. Maybe its that one?

but anyway, just to clarify
a. are you trying to hook everything back up with all the factory parts? (radio and amp)
b. which end of the harness is cut? the square plug radio end, or the round DIN amp end?
c. can you take a photo?

Quick Reply: 993 Hi Fi Radio Wiring Questions