RS Rear Sway Bar Link BROKE - NO TRACK FOR ME this weekend :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS Rear Sway Bar Link BROKE - NO TRACK FOR ME this weekend :(

It was only my 3rd lap and I hear this horrid CLUNK in back and suddenly my car is handling like complete poo and I can't get even close to my normal lap time so I do a cool down lap and pull into the pits only to find out that my left rear sway bar RS link is broken beyond repair!

My conclusion is the RS Sway bar link is total crap! The plastic housing shattered and came right out of the socket like it was nothing.

I don't even want to invest in new RS links and risk the same thing happen again.

It happened on a hard right turn -- no OTE or anything dramatic.. just normal Gingerman track drive

...so for the first time EVER I was NOT able to drive all day at the track and just my luck, it was an absolutely beautiful sunny gorgeous day! Why couldn't this happen to me the weekend before when it was rainy and horrid at Autobahn.. damn murphy's law!

Here is some photo proof of just how fragile the RS sway bar links are!
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2006, 12:05 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I've had several of them break like that. I always keep a spare set. I've been trying to find a replacement but have had no luck, none are curved and you need the curve if you want to go full stiff.

George
Old 04-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have TRG Sways with JIC Cross - standard straight links don't clear the ERP Toe links. Viper Bob is working something custom out for me using the beefy 1/2" tie rod ends. I'll post the results when I have them...
Old 04-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How big is your rear bar - is the RS one?

Marc
Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Paging Mr. Viperbob, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

VB apparently can make you some drop links out of your off-the-shelf rod and monoballs. He even bends the rod to match the RS style. I haven't seen them, that's just what I hear. I'd imagine they'd be more sturdy than RS links, but would be lacking the weather protection (i.e. the rubber boots). Please correct me if I'm wrong VB.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:21 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that's part of the game, joints/bolts/bearings are consumables just like gas/tires/oil when you're driving on the track. I do wonder if maybe the RS links are less sturdy since they are not a linear piece? The curved design was not carried over to the 996 GT3/Cups.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, it isn't a readily available part. Kicker is it will take a week to get one in stock and I'm back on the track next weekend with NASA at Blackhawk Farms.

I had no idea they were so fragile.

I've called every Porsche dealer within a 200 mile radias and Sunset and NO one has them in stock.

They aren't even that expensive... only $45 each from Sunset!

..What's even funnier is that Sunset told me they have a 2 year unlimited mile warranty on them exept I lost my receipt so I can't even get it warrantied.. GRRRRRRRR
Old 04-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I had these on my 993 race car for 5 years and never broke one. Maybe I got a "good" set or maybe it was something related to how it connected to the shock?
One thing to check is does your swaybar move? We installed mine when we were building the car and found out we had the wrong bushings so the bar was virtually fixed, this would have caused issues with the handling and the links.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:09 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

they sway bar has side to side movement.. it had us worried about my drive home since it was a bit too much a PITA to completely remove it but all was fine on the way home.. I just acted like I was in an SUV on the expressway exit ramp instead of in my 993
Old 04-10-2006, 01:33 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

One way that these things break like that is if the mount is able to twist. If it does, then these things can just snap. So a couple of things

1) I am having some rod end curved links made as we speak. They will most likely not be ready for a couple of weeks yet (this does not include Don as his are different for his JICs around his MASSIVE ERP arms)

2) I have the standard RS drop links in stock. I always have some spares standing by. If you need one, just let me know.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Viperbob: sent you a pm...

If eric isn't able to custom make me a set in time, I might take you up on a left rear one to get me through the weekend with NASA.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking Please............

Above we see, " might take you up on a left rear one to get me through the weekend with NASA."

I am sorry, and NO FLAME INTENDED , but in the most polite manner possible, let me suggest that ordering a left rear drop link seems to me like going to a shoe store and ordering a left foot shoe. I am certain that Viper Bob buys the links in pairs...if he breaks up a set, what does he do with the other one? Have a heart and buy a set...let's all do our best to keep Viper Bob's business profitable. I may be 100% off here...just going on a gut feeling. If I am wrong with this perception, allow me to apologize in advance.

The bizarre thing, assumiong that Viper Bob does buy RS drop links in sets, Viper Bob is so damned customer centric that he would break up a set of RS links for you and keep the right drop link as a spare just in case someone needs a right drop link somewhere down the road.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ceboyd
they sway bar has side to side movement.. it had us worried about my drive home since it was a bit too much a PITA to completely remove it but all was fine on the way home.. I just acted like I was in an SUV on the expressway exit ramp instead of in my 993
What I meant was, does the sway bar move up and down (like it should) freely or is it very tight? If it is very tight you may not have the correct bushings and it creates extra strain on the links.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

you should buy a set then use the "old" one that is still intact as a spare.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:55 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Above we see, " might take you up on a left rear one to get me through the weekend with NASA."

I am sorry, and NO FLAME INTENDED , but in the most polite manner possible, let me suggest that ordering a left rear drop link seems to me like going to a shoe store and ordering a left foot shoe. I am certain that Viper Bob buys the links in pairs...if he breaks up a set, what does he do with the other one? Have a heart and buy a set...let's all do our best to keep Viper Bob's business profitable. I may be 100% off here...just going on a gut feeling. If I am wrong with this perception, allow me to apologize in advance.

The bizarre thing, assumiong that Viper Bob does buy RS drop links in sets, Viper Bob is so damned customer centric that he would break up a set of RS links for you and keep the right drop link as a spare just in case someone needs a right drop link somewhere down the road.
Even more importantly, what if the other one has been stressed and is close to failure too?

Quick Reply: RS Rear Sway Bar Link BROKE - NO TRACK FOR ME this weekend :(