Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket in Massachusetts

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:40 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Car insurance in Mass. is state-regulated and extremely expensive. The national carriers -- State Farm, Allstate, Progressive, Geico etc. -- won't insure anyone in this state.

Dudley, I'd go to court on it, if the judge is in a good mood, you might get it tossed or just wind up paying the seatbelt violation. Be nice, very apologetic, stress that you have an excellent driving record, etc. Won't cost you anything more if you lose, but you could beat it.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dudley -

Does Mass. have Deferred Adjudication sp?? If your record stays clean for 6-9 months then the ticket goes away. You pay the fine, but you don't get the points / insurance bump.

Best wishes Howard
Old 04-10-2006, 04:40 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Nope, they don't have that here. Get a ticket, you're screwed, period.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Wish I could give you a good way to proceed but after living in "Taxachusetts" for a number of years I bugged out! I found, too, that the police authorities would routinely LIE in court so just beg on the court's good graces and go to court, but plead that you were in error.

As several have pointed out, there is no negotiation in Massachusetts on your insurance rates. All are driven to charge the same amount,--that's competition for you.

Massachusetts,--the land of Kennedys, Kerrys, etc. You get what you vote for.

Dan
Old 04-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Guys, I guess I will just go to court and follow Vic's advice. Just stand on my previous record and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 596 Posts

That is sick! I hate it when the government tells a vender that they must sell to the public at a cheaper price than market value.

The only thing worse is when the government dictates that the vender must sell at a higher price than market value!

I don't know who got elected that put that into law, but you guys should ask for your "money back".

Sorry about your luck. I hope you get a resolution with rates that you can live with.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted by sojglenn
In Mass., the state law dictates your rate.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:33 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudley
I guess I will just go to court and follow Vic's advice. Just stand on my previous record and let the chips fall where they may.
On your first visit for this ticket you will get stuck with a magistrate and some random state police officer. No matter what you will be found guilty. Whatever you do DO NOT ADMIT TO SPEEDING! You don't have to lie just don't say you were speeding otherwise you are screwed on appeal. After you are found guilty they will ask if you would like to appeal, just say yes. They will set a court date and that is usually the one that the officer won't show for. At the very least you can fight it a thousand different ways (continuous appealing sometimes works). Its unfortunate you weren't pulled over by a Worcester cop, they show up a lot less than the state troopers of which there are a few on Rennlist.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:09 AM
lexart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
. . . after living in "Taxachusetts" for a number of years I bugged out! . . .

Dan
Well, you certainly didn't save much in taxes

http://www.census.gov/govs/statetax/04staxrank.html

but we're sure glad you did
Old 04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason, Thanks for your input, solid advice as usual. I spoke to a lawyer and he offered similar advice. I have a few weeks before I get a court date to determine my course of action.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dudley
Christer, no offense taken. It does sound foolish. I thought twice about even posting, I should have thought thrice. Sometimes on this board, rather than advice, you take a bit of a thrashing.
I think the point I was trying to make was that you should not be basing any defence on that story...no thrashing intended.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:48 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

News for NY State troopers:

4/10/06 ALBANY, N.Y. Starting in September, state troopers will no longer be allowed to negotiate lower traffic infractions for drivers who contest their tickets.
Currently, drivers pulled over for speeding or other moving violations often plead not guilty. They show up at court weeks later and have the charge reduced by the trooper _ not a judge _ before the first court appearance to avoid a trial.

The practice allows a quick resolution to many cases and still brings in money for the state and towns where the offense occurred.

Now state police officials have directed troopers to stop making deals with those they ticket and leave that responsibility to local prosecutors.

They say allowing troopers to carry out the duty is unethical because it forces motorists to bargain with the officer who has charged them and poses a threat to public safety by keeping officers from road patrol.

New York State Police officials say troopers issue about 900-thousand traffic tickets annually, including about 43 percent of all speeding tickets and 25 percent of safety restraint citations.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Christer

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket in Massachusetts