Sponsored by:

ashless dispersant oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 05:55 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ashless dispersant oil

many light aircraft use 15-50 semisynthetic oil, ashless dispersant to prevent preignition and carbon buildup. has anyone tried this? thanks david
Old 04-09-2006, 09:28 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

David,
As a former pilot, I recall the semisynthetic oils. Short answer is don't use it!

Semisynthetic engine oils are a blend of synthetic stock and conventional mineral oils. Semisynthetic engine oils could have as little as 10% synthetic in the formulation. As I recall, these products can be purchased at a lower cost than full synthetics. Performance features, low temperature flow, high temperature, evaporative loss and oxidation stability with our engines require 100% synthetic oil.

Use Mobil 1 0-40W is the oil I use. If I was in high temp area or tracked car heavily would use 15x50W. Lots of religion on weight of oil if you do a search. Change oil and filters once a year, or every 5K miles and you will be fine.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:30 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a current flyer (yeah, even with avgas at $4.35 a gal.) I agree with my good friend. On the surface, 'ashless dispersant' seems like the panacea for our problems ...but it's not. At a pinch I *might* use avblend oil in my lawn mower, but at a pinch. It's designed for *airplane* engines ...yeah, yeah, I know, ours and theirs are both air-cooled -- but there are big diffs in the how the engines operate and under what conditions.

As said 15W50 if you track the car -- and 0W40 if you don't.

Gerry
(CPL-AS/MEL-IA)
Old 04-09-2006, 07:39 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many types of semi-synths in motorcycle oils. Motul is pretty common in use and comes in many weights and mixtures. It also comes in full synth. I never used motorcycle oils in cars but it's a thought. Most are aircooled and abused in heat cycles. I also knew many cycle places used Mobil 1.
Chris
Old 04-11-2006, 07:29 PM
David Schiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many thanks to all for the "continuing education". David.

Quick Reply: ashless dispersant oil