Replaced clutch slave cylinder, but pedal feels rough again

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:28 PM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Replaced clutch slave cylinder, but pedal feels rough again

Last weekend I replaced the clutch slave cylinder. For some reason, the job was a real bear, much worse than the kinematic lever replacement I had breezed through earlier.

Over the last week, the clutch has felt great. No more hanging pedal (since I did the lever) and I didn't feel any of the "crunchiness" in the pedal that I attributed to the bad slave cylinder.

Then driving home tonight I felt the roughness in the clutch pedal again, same as before. It comes when the pedal is almost to the floor, and feels like rough pieces of metal rubbing together and binding as the pedal continues downward.

I guess that I'll put the car up on jackstands tomorrow and bleed the clutch again, but it is sure disappointing to have this symptom come back so soon. Any thoughts on what is going on? I suppose that I could have got a bad slave cylinder or that I have air in the system somehow. It seems to me that if it was the clutch itself, the problem would not have gone away for a week following the installation of the new slave cylinder. How about the clutch master cylinder?

Thanks,
John
Old 04-01-2006, 11:15 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

John,
Prior to replacing my slave (what a bear!), I had the same symptoms. Although I felt the 'stepped', rubbing sensation while releasing the clutch. I replaced the slave as well as the rubber hose that serves it. Did you replace this as well?

My clutch has remained smooth since this surgery.

Andreas
Old 04-04-2006, 01:39 AM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Andreas, I'll try replacing the rubber hose and see how that works.

Tonight I had the car up on jackstands again and bled the clutch. The pedal action feels good, but I can still feel the binding right before the pedal hits the floor. I count five "steps" as it sticks. I wonder what the heck is causing the resistance?

Still, I've improved to where I can get the car on jackstands, the clutch bled, and put it all back together in less than an hour.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-04-2006, 02:52 AM
911nut
Advanced

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...I had to replace the clutch and bearing to make the operation smooth. The tech said the bearing shaft was dry and binding.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:03 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim,
What is the bearing shaft you refer to??
Old 06-10-2006, 12:51 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

He was referring to the "spline", "input shaft".

Quick Reply: Replaced clutch slave cylinder, but pedal feels rough again