Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your car shift like a hot knife in soft buttah?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:07 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

the proper gear oil is very important. using the Mobil Synthetic Gear lube that Autzone,etc. sells is not a good idea for longevity....the factory fill is Mobilube Delvac (SHC) and it is different...has much higher "shockability"...a place called Luftechnik (sic) sells it...only one i could find that sells it...another is http://www.specialtyformulations.com/MTL-R.htm...the brass synchros are fairly tempremental and these lubes will do the trick...another is Redline...if you call there and speak with Dave he will help you out...he is very knowledgeable and willingly gives his advice and opinions.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:21 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Even if the car isn't perfectly level, I think you get the correct level if you stop filling when the oil starts to run out of the fill hole. If the front of the car is lower than the rear, you get a little more oil in the front of the transmission and a little less in the back, so it all works out, with the fill hole being near the middle of the transmission...
Old 03-31-2006, 07:22 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Swepco here and same as the others........once it warms a bit, it's like buttahh...............ZP44
Old 03-31-2006, 07:24 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little stiff starting out but smooth after a few minutes or warm up.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:02 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Swepco here and same as the others........once it warms a bit, it's like buttahh...............ZP44
So, are you using the Swepco 201? That's what I've used with success in my SC but I haven't yet changed the 993 fluid. I probably will this Spring since I don't know the last time it was changed. I just bought it in September and I'd like to establish some known maintenance intervals. I assume it was changed during the 30k service but you never know.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no butter here. it shifts somewhat smooth, when shifted correctly (slow, deliberate, & above 4000). but stray from this disiplined/cost conscience/fanatical shifting style, and it's notchy like raking gravel.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:40 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it seems that recently my car isnt shifting so good...

tough into first, and then for second thru fourth i have to engage the clutch pedal, shift into gear, and then pause a moment while the transmission seems to move into gear before releasing the clutch pedal...

diagnosis?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When its cold outside, notchy and crunchy like peanut brittle. Not very impressive for the vaunted G50. Once the tranny warms up or its warm outside smooth as butta baby! Well actually 3rd has always been a bit notchy regardless. Currenly running Swepco 201 and so far its the best. Mobil 1 was terrible and I could not even downshif to 1st gear unless I was almost completley stopped. Redline was a bit better but not much. I think Robin said it best in one of these threads. For a nice new gearbox go with the synthetics like Mobile 1 or Redline. For old tired gearboxes like mine (72k) go with Swepco 201. I wonder how tough Swepco is on brass gears??

As for why our cars are beginning to shift bad? My guess is worn syncros, dogs and sliders. Anyone do a DIY on syncros yet???????

Quick Reply: Does your car shift like a hot knife in soft buttah?