How do I align my headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How do I align my headlights?

Just installed my Vertex group buy 6000k HID's and they looks awesome! First one took 1.5 hrs. Second one took about 20 min.

But I noticed the bubbles in the levels are not centered. I know about getting in front of a garage door on level ground. But where are the adjustment screws and what's the theory behind the alignment? Since we drive on the right side of the road here, should my lights be aimed slightly to the right, so as to not blind oncoming cars? What about height adjustment? Please help! Thanks!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:23 AM
rkass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, in front of car luggage area, pull back carpeting on right and left front sides. You should see oval looking plastic cover that opens upwards i think. Anyway this cover should reveal two holes that are really the guides for adusting your lights. You will need a long metric allen wrench either 5 or 6 i think to reach the female screw. the allen wrench should fit into this and you turn counter or clockwise as you need to. the front and back holes control the up/down and side/side adjustment. Hope I described it well enough, but fairly easy to do once you locate things. Go easy so you don't strip the adjustment screws they are made of plastic. When you had lights out, you may have noticed the two female screws on side of light facing to the trunk on both the left and right light. Good luck
Old 03-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Rick's advise is right on. However, after stripping on adjuistment screw, I always remove the light make the adjustment. For me, it was too easy to strip the plastic gears with the headlight in.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have a photo of the adj. screws? I don't understand how removing the lights makes adjustment even possible, let alone easier. How can you see where they're shining if you remove them?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:47 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, I think there's some instructions & pics in the owner's manual, IIRC.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Anyone have a photo of the adj. screws? I don't understand how removing the lights makes adjustment even possible, let alone easier. How can you see where they're shining if you remove them?
I'll post a photo when I get home tonight if no one else does. I removed the headlight, adjusted a little, re-installed, removed, adjusted and so on until I had it right. This way I knew I wasn't stripping the gears. For me it was a dot time consuming but worth it.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 AM
rkass
Racer

Rick, you don't have to remove lights to adjust. If you want to see what the allen wrench is fitting into, you can pull your light and look at it. When I say be careful, I mean don't jam the allen wrench into the guide hole because the metal will definitely win over the plastic and you won't have a nice fit anymore. It's really easy to adjust, just insert allen wrench into hole gently until you feel hook up and can turn screw. Also once you hit limit on the turn of the screw, don't force it as you don't want to strip the internal rings whereby the screw becomes useless.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Brave Heart
Racer

Did I read somewhere that the Bubble method of alignment wasn't that accurate ?? and it was better to align against a wall / or door ?? to be more effective
Old 03-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Originally Posted by rkass
Rick, in front of car luggage area, pull back carpeting on right and left front sides. You should see oval looking plastic cover that opens upwards i think. Anyway this cover should reveal two holes that are really the guides for adusting your lights. You will need a long metric allen wrench either 5 or 6 i think to reach the female screw. the allen wrench should fit into this and you turn counter or clockwise as you need to. the front and back holes control the up/down and side/side adjustment. Hope I described it well enough, but fairly easy to do once you locate things. Go easy so you don't strip the adjustment screws they are made of plastic. When you had lights out, you may have noticed the two female screws on side of light facing to the trunk on both the left and right light. Good luck
rkass and all -Thanks, this is the kind of thread I especially like. I had forgotten that I even wanted to adjust my headlights as it's been raining so much lately I haven't been driving much at all and not at night. So I open this thread and remember that I needed to find out how to adjust the lights, now I know.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:17 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Mark: I posted that the bubbles and ruler were useless (on my car) for aligning the lights with the HID upgrade. Start by poiinting at a garage get them where you think they are right, go for a drive and repeat. It ook me 4 iterations before I was satisfied and did not blind everyone.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Thx TJ -- I was sure I read it somewhere -- I'll do as you suggest

Hey its great to have lights that CAN bother people rather than teh candles we had before Xenon
Old 03-24-2006, 01:49 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

My experience with this is as tj90 describes. For whatever reason, after the HID instal I adjusted my lights per owners manual and the lights were not optimized.. I found the best method was to "rough align" using a flat garage wall etc. then take the car out at night (with your allen wrench in your pocket) and fine tune by driving around. You can get a much better feel for where the lights are really pointed by driving at night. I found doing a few 360 turns in a safe, open area and watching where the light beams reflected against objects at different distances was very helpful. Adjustment is tricky because up/down adjustment also changes left/right adjustment, so you end up see/sawing back and forth to arrive where you want to. Takes a while, at least for me.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Thanks Steve -- Some fiddling about in the dark sounds like the gameplan
Old 03-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Mike McC
Track Day

I found this article on headlamp adjustment very useful when converting my '87 to H4's: www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
Old 10-16-2007, 12:29 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

I've now had two failures within 1 year from the Vertex HID kits. The most recent one is either the bulb or ballast. I'm still troubleshooting. I bought this kit new from Vertex less than six months ago and hope they honor their stated 1 year warranty.

This HID thing is getting old. I doubt I have more than 3 hours total on the new bulbs and ballast since I rarely use my lights. However, this past weekend I was driving to an AX and the new CA law requires driving with your lights on when it's raining. I turn them on and only one is working.

Quick Reply: How do I align my headlights?