Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Zimmerman Rotors....Yes or No???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Bladz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Zimmerman Rotors....Yes or No???

I did a search but did not find much on the Zimmermann brand rotors. Is anyone using or used the Zimmermann Rotors and if so what is your feelings? Should I order the original OEM or what other brand?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Go with the factory ones, order them through Sunset or Suncoast and the price won't be much of a difference to the Zimmermans.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:06 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto, my Zimm's lasted < 15K miles, going with stock, in the Porsche box rotors from now on!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know whose rotors I pulled off my front but they were not Porsche because they did not have the part number stamped on them. They were warped. I paid about $106 each at Sunset as suggested many many times on this board. By the Textar pads too while you got the guys on the phone. Also replace the caliper bolts, the new ones have some stuff on them; it seems to make good sense to replace the caliper bolts too. I spent a buch of time researching this, its the best way to go for normal street driving. I did not replace my sensors just zip tied them to the metal brake line comming off the caliper. I replaced the pads before it got down to the sensor so the sensor was not damaged. I am not sharing anything new here, its all documented on this site and P-Car.Com
Old 03-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Bladz
Advanced

Default Mintex Pads

I order soem brake pads and the parts house suggested using Mintex since they grip good wet and dry and produce little dust....??? Has anyone tried the Mintex Pads?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:16 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The Zimmermans are ok, I've used mine for probably 15 track days with no problems. I mean, they're absolutely toast at this point, but I don't think the factory rotors would be any different. Just make sure to get some high temp paint and paint the hats before you install them, otherwise they rust (unlike the factory ones).
Old 03-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My brother used them on his C2 as an economy measure against OEM, but regretted it - the hubs soon got covered in a fine film of rust/corrosion which made them look shabby. Stick with OEM (as I did) if the price differential isn't that great.
Cheers
Stewart
Old 03-22-2006, 10:27 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

I don't know the price diff. between Zimm's and stock, but I bought the Zimm's. Soon afterwards the rust developed. I removed the rotors and glass beaded the rusted hats, masked the disk portions and lightly sprayed a high temp silver paint. So far they are ok, but next time I will go with the stock ones.

Sometimes going cheap is not a savings...
Old 03-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pcar964
The Zimmermans are ok, I've used mine for probably 15 track days with no problems.
15 days is nothing IMO. I got lots more on mine, but I did have some cooling ducts. Just because they have cracks doesn't mean they are toast.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:51 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I use Zimmermans on my 951 (mostly track car) but will spring for the OEM when the 993 comes up for new rotors, if just to get the pretty galvinized finish. BBQ paint works well on the Zimmermans but OEM looks nicer.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

OEM is better and safer! I do not trust anything else.

You are rolling the dice with non-OEM rotors that are cross drilled. The last thing you need is fracturing a rotor that cracks due to the cross-drilled hole. I believe the OEM rotors holes are cast.

Regardless, I would not bet my life, my passenger's life, nor the life of other motorists using non-OEM safety related parts.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, Zimmerman was (maybe still is) one of the suppliers of rotors to the Factory for 993s. Their Zimmerman branded rotors are made with cast holes and the same beveled edges as found on the Porsche branded rotors. They, and the other suppliers, powder coat the hats for the Porsche branded rotors. The dealers claim that the Porsche branded rotors are made with a "special material"..........

I get the same life out of the Zimmerman rotors as the Porsche boxed rotors on the track. If the prices are similar, why not get the Porsche branded box?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:10 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rotors were non Porsche and were warped at 15k. Think they are Zimmerman. Go with OEM

Pelican Parts has good pricing on pads and rotors. 95 C4 pricing

Fronts $163 a piece
Rears $168 a piece
Textar Pads front-$79 for the pair
Texar Pads rear-$60 for the pair.
$797.25 delivered-no tax or shipping.

I have no affiliation with Pelican parts.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:44 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
BTW, Zimmerman was (maybe still is) one of the suppliers of rotors to the Factory for 993s.
ATE was the rotor supplier for the 964 & 993 and since 1996 SHW Automotive has been the exclusive supplier to PAG. ATE had been a supplier since the 356 days (along with Brembo for a short time). The people I've asked with access to the supplier lists have never even seen Otto Zimmermann Gmbh on any list going back to the eighties, so it is possible they were never a supplier and some enterprising aftermarket Porsche parts supplier took the Zimmermann adcopy "OEM Compatible" and assumed they were an actual OE supplier.

Originally Posted by Bull
The dealers claim that the Porsche branded rotors are made with a "special material"
They are made from a cast-iron alloy called Luperlit which has only one supplier.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:46 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM and OE are not the same. Dealer sells OE. I made the mistake of buying OEM and got unpainted Zimmermans from AJ USA in San Diego. After a long conversation with the parts manager I was refunded some of my money and got a full refund on the Pagid pads. Happy with the service there but since I wanted original parts and they gave me the whole OEM song and dance vs OE I felt it was misleading. They did try to accomodate me so I'll give them that and would not have a problem buying things from them in the future. I went straight over to Porsche and got Textars. Brakes were quite ever since, but I had to spray the rotor hats and I doubt they will stay rust free unless I stay on top of it by touching up etc. I'd go to the dealer and get OE with the part number stamped on it and pre-painted. Worth the extra $$$ in the end.

Quick Reply: Zimmerman Rotors....Yes or No???