Zimmerman Rotors....Yes or No???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 04:47 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
15 days is nothing IMO. I got lots more on mine, but I did have some cooling ducts. Just because they have cracks doesn't mean they are toast.
Mine are toast. Sebring is hard on brakes. I'm hard on brakes. Cracks connecting three holes, grooves as deep as grand canyon, etc.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:48 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Marv
OEM is better and safer! I do not trust anything else.

You are rolling the dice with non-OEM rotors that are cross drilled. The last thing you need is fracturing a rotor that cracks due to the cross-drilled hole. I believe the OEM rotors holes are cast.

Regardless, I would not bet my life, my passenger's life, nor the life of other motorists using non-OEM safety related parts.
That's silly! I can't think of one part on my 993 that can't be improved and made safer by going aftermarket instead of OEM. Maybe in this case the OEM is better than Zimmerman - but in general, you can find aftermarket parts that are better than factory.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCAR964.... I can think of a few aftermarket parts that are an improvement over the OEM (door handles on my SC, Shocks, brake pads) but find that Aftermarket parts designed to make our cars "faster" or "better" often fail and are a waste of money and time. With the known exceptions particular to each model, I have found that its a mistake to try to improve on what the Porsche Engineers have done. These improvements often add a host of other issues. I would go with OEM rotors and plan to do so in the near future.

Just my 2cents.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:36 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porscheologist
PCAR964.... I can think of a few aftermarket parts that are an improvement over the OEM (door handles on my SC, Shocks, brake pads) but find that Aftermarket parts designed to make our cars "faster" or "better" often fail and are a waste of money and time. With the known exceptions particular to each model, I have found that its a mistake to try to improve on what the Porsche Engineers have done. These improvements often add a host of other issues. I would go with OEM rotors and plan to do so in the near future.

Just my 2cents.
Can you give an example?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:00 AM
4sound
Advanced

Zimmerman rotors are not painted on the inner hub area, as the factory OEM are. Doesnt look so great when they rust in that area.
I remember years ago installing a set of front Zimmerman rotors on a 87 Turbo. at lower speeds with brakes lightly applied would make a noise. Using Porsche factory rotors, never had this noise. Looking at the cross drilled holes on the Zimmerman vs Factory, I noticed that the "Flair" at the outter part of the hole was cut slightly different. Not sure if its different with the 993 rotors, as I never looked.
I like Porsche OEM rotors. Sure they are a few more bucks, but you figure how many times you use your brakes...why settle for less ?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:20 AM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcar964
The Zimmermans are ok, I've used mine for probably 15 track days with no problems. I mean, they're absolutely toast at this point, but I don't think the factory rotors would be any different. Just make sure to get some high temp paint and paint the hats before you install them, otherwise they rust (unlike the factory ones).
I have to agree with this statement. I have used factory, Zimmerman, and treated factory and zimmerman rotors. The treated rotors last a bit longer but probably not worth the extra money in the end since it is easy to change the rotors out and you can get 993 rotors pretty cheap these days. Beware though as Viper Bob posted metal prices are rising so items like rotors are or have already increased.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

I will have to somewhat disagree with you.

I do agree you can buy after market products that are an improvement over OEM.

However, in this case the poster was asking about a "substitute" for OEM. A general rule of thumb I apply is that non-OEM parts that are represented as a cost savings to the OEM part are almost always a compromise in quality and performance.

I am sure there are examples to the contrary, but in this case Zimmerman does not represent an exception to that rule.

This was what the point of the original post was all about. I feel it is wiser and safer to buy OEM.

That's silly! I can't think of one part on my 993 that can't be improved and made safer by going aftermarket instead of OEM. Maybe in this case the OEM is better than Zimmerman - but in general, you can find aftermarket parts that are better than factory.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:03 AM
abar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bladz
I order soem brake pads and the parts house suggested using Mintex since they grip good wet and dry and produce little dust....??? Has anyone tried the Mintex Pads?
Yes, but not on a P-car. M1144 iirc was excellent with standard / Brembo group N discs on my Golf GTI, long time ago though. Pagids are popular replacements over here for fast road / track use.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:02 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kary993
Beware though as Viper Bob posted metal prices are rising so items like rotors are or have already increased.
Yes I have seen the issue with metal pricing affecting any bulk parts on the 993. Rear C2 rotors that listed for $110 last year at this time just crossed the $175 level as of 2/1/06. They are now more than the fronts which will also be going up in the near future. I have seen my cost for LWF kits go up by 35% in the past 2 months alone. In talking with Bilstein, it looks like another round of increases is going to happen there. And it does not look like it is going to stop anytime soon...
Old 03-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Partial list

Can you give an example?
Wheel bearings, sychros, short shifters, cold air intakes, headers, exhaust, body parts, glass, carpets..... ad naseum...
Old 03-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Is that an increase in the US? Could it be the dollar exchange rate that is governing the majority of the increase?

Originally Posted by viperbob
Yes I have seen the issue with metal pricing affecting any bulk parts on the 993. Rear C2 rotors that listed for $110 last year at this time just crossed the $175 level as of 2/1/06. They are now more than the fronts which will also be going up in the near future. I have seen my cost for LWF kits go up by 35% in the past 2 months alone. In talking with Bilstein, it looks like another round of increases is going to happen there. And it does not look like it is going to stop anytime soon...
Old 03-23-2006, 02:34 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Wheel bearings, sychros, short shifters, cold air intakes, headers, exhaust, body parts, glass, carpets..... ad naseum...
synchros - aren't steel synchros more durable?
short shifters - aren't B&M just as good?
exhaust - aren't many aftermarket better quality materias (and lighter) than the factory 993 exhaust?
glass - factory windshields crack and pit more easily than aftermarket according to many

And how about engine parts? Aren't titanium valve springs/retainers better than stock? How about valve guides and connecting rods? There are some parts I will only use OE Porsche - but since I like to upgrade parts when I replace them, I typically look for the best part on its own merits. Especially when some factory parts are insanely expensive.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

synchros - aren't steel synchros more durable?
short shifters - aren't B&M just as good?
exhaust - aren't many aftermarket better quality materias (and lighter) than the factory 993 exhaust?
glass - factory windshields crack and pit more easily than aftermarket according to many

And how about engine parts? Aren't titanium valve springs/retainers better than stock? How about valve guides and connecting rods? There are some parts I will only use OE Porsche - but since I like to upgrade parts when I replace them, I typically look for the best part on its own merits. Especially when some factory parts are insanely expensive.

Steel synchros from Porsche Motorsport are the best. As are the short shifter's. no one who races uses B&M in their 993. By exhaust I was referring to headers, no one makes significantly more power than stock headers, though it might be slightly lighter. Race cars don't use real mufflers anyway.

Quick Reply: Zimmerman Rotors....Yes or No???