Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Porsche get Flat Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:30 PM
tobyport
Instructor

Default Do Porsche get Flat Tires?

I have a 993 without the Air Compressor for the space-saver spare...and as it sits in my garage for some DIY I began to wonder what would happen when/if I got a flat tire?! I have probably driven 50k + miles collectively in P-cars and fortunately I have never had a flat, much less, plugged in a the Porsche compressor.

Should I buy:

1) a Porsche compressor from eBay
2) some new fangled replacement compressor (from AJ USA, Griots, et al) that's better than the original Porsche compressor
3) a Can of that quick fix stuff that is supposed to blow up the tire for a short trip?

Please advise.
Old 03-21-2006 | 11:11 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Buy a AAA card.
Old 03-22-2006 | 12:51 AM
Paulsha911
Racer

AAA is a must.

If you are missing the plastic sheet the comes with the tool kit, make sure you keep a large plastic sheet in your trunk also! After change to the spare, guess where your dirty wheel goes? The front seat!

For self help, you could order the Porsche Tire Sealant from Carnewal which requires the air pump. Or you can order this from Tire Rack which pretty much does the same thing except that it combines the quick fix stuff and the air pump into one solution: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp
Old 03-22-2006 | 12:52 AM
zwoobah
Instructor

Well, I think you may have just jinxed yourself....

I wouldn't recommend the fix-a-flat. It sprays adhesive rubber crud all over the inside of the tire/wheel, and won't always fix the leak...although it will always **** off your tire installer when they have to clean out that crap to get the wheel to balance. A plug kit and inflation can (with no sealant) is a last ditch effort, but I've had mixed luck getting the plug kits to work without having the tire go fully flat.

I would, at the least, stop by Autozone or Wal-Mart to find a small 12v cig lighter powered compressor. I carried a Black&Decker one for years in non-P-cars and it worked great.
Old 03-22-2006 | 03:26 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

1) I've had no less than 5 (yes, FIVE!!) flat tires on my 993 within a one year period. Granted, two of them were due to old track tires used on the street with nothing but cords showing Anyway, I am very careful to avoid potholes, road debris, etc. I will literally put the car sideways to avoid something in the road, believe me. But for some reason my tires love nails and screws.

2) Low profile tires are more prone to sidewall damage than normal tires. That fix-a-flat tire goop doesn't work on sidewall-damaged tires, and that stuff makes a real mess anyway.

3) Yes, get Triple-A!!! Pay the $50 for a one year premium membership, and you get free flatbed towing for 100 miles. It's the best deal ever. Seriously.
Old 03-22-2006 | 03:35 AM
planeguy67
Advanced

I've had two flats in the last 5 months. The first flat was caused by overly worn tires, so they needed replacing anyways. The second flat was just a few weeks ago and was caused by something on the road that slashed the inner side wall on the RR tire.

I have AAA, but I was in a canyon with NO cell phone service!!! So I had to use the space-saver spare and air pump. Everything worked out well, however, and I was back in business the next day.

Morale of the story: learn to be self-reliant.
Old 03-22-2006 | 03:47 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by planeguy67
I've had two flats in the last 5 months. The first flat was caused by overly worn tires, so they needed replacing anyways. The second flat was just a few weeks ago and was caused by something on the road that slashed the inner side wall on the RR tire.

I have AAA, but I was in a canyon with NO cell phone service!!! So I had to use the space-saver spare and air pump. Everything worked out well, however, and I was back in business the next day.

Morale of the story: learn to be self-reliant.
Yeah, what he said Forgot to mention that my first flat was with a flat track tire on the cords, and I didn't have my cell phone - was happy to have my space saver and electric pump with me! Any ideas I had about ditching the spare tire to save weight, were quickly forgotten. Now I just take it out while I'm at the track, but will "never leave home without it"
Old 03-22-2006 | 03:50 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Yup, had a flat couple years ago when a nail got into the sidewall - tire was new and needed to be relpaced.

Definitely travel with spare, compressor and all tools needed to fix the tire - oh and AAA is great backup insurance!

Old 03-22-2006 | 04:25 AM
GeezC4S
Racer

Originally Posted by Paulsha911
AAA is a must.

If you are missing the plastic sheet the comes with the tool kit, make sure you keep a large plastic sheet in your trunk also! After change to the spare, guess where your dirty wheel goes? The front seat!
Great point Paul! You definitely want to keep the oversized plastic bag for such emergencies

Ask me how I know https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/261417-p-car-versus-pothole-guess-who-wins.html
Old 03-22-2006 | 04:27 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

I carry a pump and repair kit. The kit has plugs and an installation tool. It's good for nails only.
I got both from a Advanced Auto for about $35. Yes on AAA. Chris
Old 03-22-2006 | 07:30 AM
tobyport
Instructor

Thank you everyone! I am joining AAA TODAY! I am continuing to search for a new alternative to the original compressor...would appreciate input from anyone who has found a better compressor.

On another note, are there any clearance problems with the space saver spare when you have the Euro MO3O RoW suspension?
Old 03-22-2006 | 07:33 AM
Jannis
Advanced

Yeap ,Porsche get Flat Tires to !

Old 03-22-2006 | 07:36 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

If you are prior military, USAA has great Roadside Assistance....$7.00/6 months!
Old 03-22-2006 | 08:03 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

That looks really ugly! I feel your pain!

Originally Posted by Jannis
Yeap ,Porsche get Flat Tires to !

Old 03-22-2006 | 08:07 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

You are screwed!

My business partner and I were discussing the same thing last year. Neither of us had ever had to do that longer than we could remember. One hour later the left rear tire catastrophically blew on a borrowed van, sending me careening all over the road until I could get it off the highway.

You still may have time. Get that compressor in the truck ASAP!

Originally Posted by tobyport
I have a 993 without the Air Compressor for the space-saver spare...and as it sits in my garage for some DIY I began to wonder what would happen when/if I got a flat tire?! I have probably driven 50k + miles collectively in P-cars and fortunately I have never had a flat, much less, plugged in a the Porsche compressor.

Should I buy:

1) a Porsche compressor from eBay
2) some new fangled replacement compressor (from AJ USA, Griots, et al) that's better than the original Porsche compressor
3) a Can of that quick fix stuff that is supposed to blow up the tire for a short trip?

Please advise.

Quick Reply: Do Porsche get Flat Tires?