SAI Woes - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 04:05 AM
Watch My 6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enjoytheride
Where might one find the schematics for building said device?
Quick search reveals:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...bypass+circuit

WM6
Old 06-24-2006, 12:37 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave up trying to set the codes and just took the car to the dealer. They charged an hour to set the codes and an hour to smog the car. When I talked to the tech he said it took him about an hour and half to set the codes.
jv
Old 06-24-2006, 12:43 PM
mborkow
Drifting

it looks like lane_a hasn't posted in a while so i just sent him an email asking if he had any update...
Old 06-24-2006, 02:13 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mborkow, that sounds good, we'll see if he has an update. I'll see what that link WM6 showed us and see what it says. JV, did you do something to your computer or are you just addressing the fact that your codes needed to be reset? Obviously I'm seeking alternatives to dropping my motor and clearing out my ports. I realize I can have them cleaned with the engine in and have discussed this at length with Laura at Hergies. Just wanna know ALL the alternatives available to me besides paying for a smog cert that isn't legit. Going to post another thread to see who knows of a shop with the diagnostics software who can test the airflow readings. My shop in Ventura paid $9K to buy the software and now wants to charge people to hook up. Not paying him $150 for that if somebody else will do it for less or for nothing.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:16 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

so I was going to build the first circuit and was curious. As its set up, Im assuming that the grey connector is ground, which then, one could connect that lead from the box to any chassis ground and not be required to connect it to the grey wire on the o2 sensor?
Old 06-24-2006, 03:01 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bat had been disconnected for a couple of months so it needed to be reset. I have been fortunate that the car has been driven like a porsche and that it doesn't burn oil. I just couldn't get the OBD2 to re set.

jv
Old 06-25-2006, 06:20 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lane,
Texas has referee stations. That is the only way I can get inspected with my CEL and SAI codes.
You have to make an appointment, bring evidence of two failed inspections (go to no pass no pay stations). Then you have to show it will cost an excessive amount to fix the problem. (get a quote for a top end rebuild) or if you drive less than 2500 miles since the last inspection you are fine. They will do a safety check, and give you a sticker. $35 as I recall.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:40 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

so does anybody know if thats how it works in cali?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:07 AM
mborkow
Drifting

viperbob posted a thread about this with some good info.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:52 AM
lane_a
Advanced

Sorry guys, I have been working on other issues on my car and haven't taken the time to get state inspection done. I've installed the M030 springs and HD Bilsteins, and now have the car aligned and corner balanced. However, now discovered a torn CV boot and bad CV joint, but that's the subject for another post. As for the SAI circuitry, here's the news.

The circuitry is working great, no CELs for the SAI system. I was able to reset the drive cycle, however, on the return home I got, what I'm calling a miscellaneous CEL code, "cylinder no. 3 misfire". so everything has to be reset again, but I haven't had time to do it. I've not gotten this misfire code since, so I'm assumming that it was a kinda random event. BTW, the drive cycle instructions (for BMW?) previously posted do work just fine. Needless to say, I'm extremely pleased with the electronic circuit, and expect to get state inspection as soon as this current round of work is complete.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:33 PM
lane_a
Advanced

Update!!

After finally getting the car back on the road after replacing drive shafts and rear wheel bearings thanks to the great DIYs from the forum, I was able to reset the drive cycle first time (I did follow the procedure faithfully). Took car for state inspection yesterday and passed. Yea!! It looks like the SAI worries are history.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:05 PM
993polarsilver
Racer

Originally Posted by lane_a
Update!!

After finally getting the car back on the road after replacing drive shafts and rear wheel bearings thanks to the great DIYs from the forum, I was able to reset the drive cycle first time (I did follow the procedure faithfully). Took car for state inspection yesterday and passed. Yea!! It looks like the SAI worries are history.

Outstanding! Great work, thanks for posting the updates. OK, when do we see a DIY in Robin's site? Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:02 AM
lane_a
Advanced

I would be glad to provide some pictures and write-up to include in Robin's DIY site except it is a legally sensitive subject and may not be desirable to post there? What do you guys think? Robin?

Quick Reply: SAI Woes - Part 2