Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   DIY (with pix!) -- Brake Fluid Flush Fandango (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/261053-diy-with-pix-brake-fluid-flush-fandango.html)

g_murray 04-27-2007 10:39 AM

Link is live again (see page #1).

Gerry

Black993 04-27-2007 11:16 AM

great thread. this is definitely on the to do list for the new 993 :)

Thanks Gerry

Slow Guy 04-27-2007 11:45 AM

I know this thread started awhile ago but I'll add a couple of tips.

1) I use the Motive Power Bleeder and agree just filling the MC Res. and using the Motive for air pressure only is the way to go if you can, but with the clutch portion inside the main res. it's very easy to get air in the clutch that way. Make sure you bleed the clutch when you have the MC res. FULL or you will get air in the clutch system. I put fluid in the Motive if I'm bleeding a clutch or doing a full system flush but I first flush the Motive w/ fresh (cheaper) fluid to clean out the Motive.

2) It's much easier (for me) to reach the clutch bleed nipple if I slide under the car from the opposite side and just reach up and over to the clutch slave. Of course it helps to have long skinny arms! Also, get a set of the small open-end/box-end metric ignition wrenches, Sears has great sets of these and they come in handy for many tasks.
Sears wrenches

JPS 04-27-2007 02:16 PM

Thanks again for this, but one Q: What is it I'm supposed to see as a difference in the 13th & 14th pics? The subtlety is apparently missed on me.

g_murray 04-27-2007 02:51 PM

"No diff" per se -- just different pix of the _same_ operation.

i.e. copious amounts of fluid going FROM the amply-supplied motiv-powerbleeder to the resevoir and out thru' the nipple(s).

I took these pix as the _operation_ was occurring back at the rear wheel -- which is outa sight and which I'm not 'at' or 'actively monitoring'. (Can't be in two places at once!)

The inference being that I could let the bleed/flush-process 'go' at its own pace - and - so long as I had put an adequate amount of fluid in the PB - I could let it proceed without me having to run around or constantly monitor anything.

I think this is one of the 'other' benefits of the MotivPB system - not only is it a one-man operation - but you can 'let it go' and let it do it's "thang". It's (almost) a hands-off operation once you have the nipple open. Fluid is just going from one place to another - and so long as you have an ample supply of fluid at 'one end' -- it'll keep on coming out 'the other end'.

Gerry

Greg Fishman 04-27-2007 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Does the Motive PB come with the tool for opening the nipple on the caliper?

That is called an 11mm flare wrench. Or a six sided box wrench. :)

Don Magee 04-27-2007 07:51 PM

Does it have to be a flare wrench? I am about to order the power bleeder and i haven't bled brakes myself in years, but I seem to recall just using a regular combination wrench on other cars, back in the day. Do I need to order a flare wrench as well?

Greg Fishman 04-27-2007 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Don Magee
Does it have to be a flare wrench? I am about to order the power bleeder and i haven't bled brakes myself in years, but I seem to recall just using a regular combination wrench on other cars, back in the day. Do I need to order a flare wrench as well?

Flare wrench is nice because it has a lot of surface area to grip. You don't want to strip the bleeder valves. You can probably get away with a regular wrench but I liked the flare as it never slipped. I just got mine at Sears individually, I didn't buy a whole set. I also liked their pro series with a longer handle for more leverage. I have about 6 different 11mm wrenches so I have tried most options. Probably my favorite was a Kobalt (before they changed to the junky stuff they have now) that has a 6pt box end.

Don Magee 04-28-2007 01:00 PM

Thanks, Greg. If they sell them individually that sounds like a no brainer. I was hesitant to oreder a whole set.

Greg Fishman 04-28-2007 01:40 PM

No problem.
Here is a link to the single wrench.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Don Magee 04-28-2007 03:49 PM

What do you use to seal the overflow tube out of the reservoir?

Greg Fishman 04-28-2007 06:04 PM

Vice grips would work I guess. I never had that problem with my 993's as they were 97 or 98 models.

pedsurg 04-28-2007 06:54 PM

"g" Thanks for the pics; great thread. With the quality (or lack there of) of your old brake fluid will you continue an every other year flush? Kinda scary loking fluid.

Jack

AOW162435 04-28-2007 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Don Magee
What do you use to seal the overflow tube out of the reservoir?

Don,
I use these.

Andreas

Slow Guy 04-29-2007 12:19 PM

Personally, I use the flare to break loose the bleed screws and to tighten them when I'm done. If I have to open/close in between I use the small box end ignition wrenches. This is mainly because usually there's not a lot of room to turn the flare wrenches.

Like Greg, I've got several styles of wrenches and seem to use most of them.