DIY (with pix!) -- Brake Fluid Flush Fandango

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 12:30 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
Answer: Whilst in the process of bleeding each side I started the engine and let it run for 10 secs. or so. Thus the engine was started FOUR times. Again, the engine was started WHILST fluid was 'flowing'. I would then open the car/driver door and reach in to 'press' on the brake pedal several times. You just need to press it in 2 inches or so -- just to 'encourage' things a bit -- and it will 'self return'. Just be careful NOT to press it all the way to the floor -- which, since there's nothing for the fluid to press against (because you have the bleed valve open!) -- you can easily do -- with just your hand. (Reminder: you do NOT want the brake-piston traveling down where it normally DOESN'T go!)

Whilst in the process of bleeding each individual NIPPLE -- I banged on the caliper (rubber mallet) so as to 'encourage' any (trapped/lethargic) air or particulates to exit. (And believe me I saw both!)
Thus there were EIGHT 'clobberings' per caliper.
When were your brakes and/or slave cylinder bleed last ? Fluid residue is more than I get, but maybe 'cause I bleed once or twice a year.

Great write up. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
Oh man, I'm busted! My trusty Raleigh 'Road Ace' all-in-1 bicycle tool made its internet debut ...and y'all spotted it!

In my own defense, I went thru my 'collection of tools' and couldn't find ONE friggin' one that would fit over the thing without the potential for 'rounding out the corners'. So I resigned myself to first 'breaking-loose' the nipple with an adjustable open-ended spanner - then using the Raleigh-bicycle-tool to 'control the flow'.

Yesterday evening, after work, I moseyed to Pepboyz and went scoping for a METRIC set of ring spanners, beefy jackstands and a 'deep' lug-nut socket end for my torque wrench.

Phew!

G.

A ha ! You've been outed --

-- I thought it looked hellava like a Bike tool but I naturally assumed that it was a Porsche special tool
Hey if it works .......

Now if we could just find a use for those puncture repair kits that we have -- Maybe Trojanman might know
Old 03-21-2006, 12:34 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi "Mo",

Thanx, BTW I 're-wrote/edited' the blurb that you have 'quoted' ...so for consistency-sake it might be good to copy/paste-over the 'old' blurb and re-post.

According to the maint. records (remember I only have this car a year now) -- the PO had the brakes 'flushed' in the summer of 2003.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As good as power flushing is - and it is, for several of us built systems to work off shop air - it invites you to miss out on one important brake system check that occurs while bleeding the old foot pump way: when one has the brake pedal pushed, it is easy to observe the smooth operation of caliper pistons, sliders ( if so equipped), and pad movement.
Any such binding is easily detected with the pulsations from the brake pedal .... but the air pressure method is as smooth as silk - too smooth to allow this check: it is still worthwhile conning an assistant to stand on the brake pedal at some point - but still enjoy the pressure bleeder.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:01 AM
MoreIBNR
Advanced

Is there a torque setting for the bleed valvs? I just ordered the Black Label, a set of speed valves (with check valves), and a pair of bleed bottles, all from Pelican.

Does it really take 2 liters of fluid to flush the system? Sounds like a lot.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, that's some nasty looking old brake fluid. No way you got it all out. I'd do it again, just to be extra ****. On my SC I have the speed bleeders, which have a spring-loaded ball bearing and only let fluid out. I use a Motive bleeder AND I still have someone pump the pedal AND I go around the whole car twice. I like a rock hard pedal, since the SC is my track beast. For the 993, I always do the clutch last and I pump the pedal with the Motive on. I can't stand having the slightest discoloration in my brake fluid. If you use ATE Gold, if it doesn't look like white wine in the MC reservoir, then it's old. If you use ATE Blue and it doesn't look like blue raspberry sno-cone syrup, it's old. I am a fantic about brake fluid. For some reason, I can't even sleep well at night, if I know I need to flush my brakes.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:22 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This link no longer works, and I'm looking for a DIY with pix as I've never messed with my brakes other than changing the pads. Anyone have the link?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Hi,
I had to remove the pix due to web-space considerations.
Gerry
Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is there a way to get the photos up again to stay? Perhaps on P-Car? Photos are always helpful for DIY noobies, such as myself.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:22 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Lemme see what I can do.
G.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, G. I have been on the fence about getting a motive pb, and the step-by- step how to guide might push me over the edge.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:05 PM
rdurff
Advanced

As the weather gets nicer, I also have a brake and slave cylinder flush on the to-do list. So I was thrilled to see a new DIY.

Gerry, as a temporary fix to your website bandwidth constraints - would you consider posting the DIY here on Rennlist as a Word document or other such attachment?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:36 PM
GD993C4
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Jerry,

Can you PDF them and send them upon request? i could also use the info.

Gary
Old 04-26-2007, 11:14 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Hi,
I'll RE-upload the web-page with the thumbs/larger-images (JPEGS) tomorrow morning (Fri.)
Do note tho' that there's no accompanying text to go along with the images. I took the pix in such a way that there's a 'step-by-step'/'procedure' already inherent in them, so to speak.
Stand by.
Gerry
Old 04-26-2007, 12:48 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Coolio, thx.

Quick Reply: DIY (with pix!) -- Brake Fluid Flush Fandango