Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post-Hibernation Start-Up: What Do You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Post-Hibernation Start-Up: What Do You Do?

After my p-car's first winter (with me), I am getting ready to pull it out of storage in about a week. It's been sitting since 11/1.

I followed the advice on some of the threads and over-inflated the tires, add gas stabilizer, foil over the openings, trickle charger, cover, pushed it back and forth periodically to avoid flat spots, etc... FYI, she has been somewhat of a garage queen in that I bought her last summer with 31K miles and she now has 33K.

My question is, do you fog the cylinders, crank the motor by hand to pump some oil, or just start her up after 4-5 months in storage?

I don't have a lot of tools, but am somewhat handy (changed my own oil, alternators, etc. on my cars back in my college days), so any pics with arrows/instructions would be appreciated. Also, I wasn't able to find a thread that addressed this topic specifically when I searched.

I hope it warms up here soon. It was snowing earlier today. I want to drive it to the PCA Chicago Region safety session on the 26th.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2006, 05:17 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dean -

My car was put away last October and I pulled her out about a week ago to do the susension install. I simply removed ALL of the foil covers, ALL of the moth *****, disconnected the charger, reduced the tire pressure, and started her up. She fired up in less than a second. I then took her for about a 15 minute drive to get her up to temperature and burn off any moisture in the oil, etc.

Other than that, I ready to go. I have my corner weighting and alignment (with kinematic toe) next week....
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dean - I was just about to post the same question - thanks.
The insurance is back on and I'll be taking her for a run on Saturday.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 PM
hugoc2s
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Surely our cars are meant to be driven. Deanriffs, your car has not done many miles since you aquired her. That may be the more damaging than driving without due care and attention! Mine certainly responds to hard but considerate use with attention to the basics. Especially oil and appropriate servicing. I say start up, drive, change the oil and go! They might be garage queens, but they are not princesses that would detect a pea beneath a mattress!!!

PS: What are the 'foil covers over the openings'? Do you guys have beasties that crawl up the exhausts?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:33 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

That's why we live in sunny So Cal......no hibernation required.......good luck.......ZP44
Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Yes, several on this board have had mice (especially in rural areas) get in the engine and wreak havoc. That is the reason for the foil and mothballs.

I probably put about 125 miles/week on mine since getting her in July, so I'm not too concerned about under-driving it. The train definitely beats fighting the city traffic. My "issue", if I have one, is that I take the train to work, so she's a pleasure car only.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:18 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hugoc2s
PS: What are the 'foil covers over the openings'? Do you guys have beasties that crawl up the exhausts?
It could definitely happen.

Here is the winterizing I did in the Fall:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/225272-winterizing.html
Old 03-16-2006, 07:45 PM
hugoc2s
Advanced

Fair point I suppose. This thread got me thinking back to my Subaru days. There was once a post on a Scooby forum where someone had difficulty starting and a very lumpy idle. Investigation revealed 8Kg of acorns secreted away in the airbox by a local pair of squirrels!!! Thats just nuts!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 PM
hugoc2s
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
That's why we live in sunny So Cal......no hibernation required.......good luck.......ZP44
I get jealous of you guys in perpetual sunny climes. I used to live in Reno, NV, but well before the days I could even think about Porsche ownership. Despite the altitude (feuling issues) and occasional spectacular winter dump of snow, it would have been a great place to exercise a 993. Here in Scotland its a winter hibernation, not because the snow gets that bad, but because the cold and icy roads result in liberal salt applications. This limits winter driving to dry sunny days when the salt is not in solution and ready to spray up into her sensitive parts!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:59 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Hugo, those are the exact issues (salt) we deal with here in Michigan also.

Quick Reply: Post-Hibernation Start-Up: What Do You Do?