For those of you that replaced your SAI valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default For those of you that replaced your SAI valve

For the life of me I can't the the SAI valve to unbolt. I made a mod crawfoot according to instruction and no matter what I did I can't get it to come loose. Did anyone had problem getting the valve to unbolt?

Side note: Actually I have the SAI CEL issue with my 996 not the 993, just doing a preventive on the 993... Was reading the 996 shop manual and notice that the 1999 model 996 uses the same SAI one way valve and the same check valve as the 993. (Same part number) And there was a tech bulletin update to change all 99 valve design to a new 2000 design if issues were SAI CEL problem were found.

The 2000 design consists of only one integrated valve (Both the one way and the check valve as one unit).....

So I am guessing Porsche found an issue with the SAI valve they were using and decided to change the design? So wasn't around 1999 when the SAI valve problem starting to pop up with the 993? Food for thought...

In any case I still have a stuck SAI valve in my 993......
Old 03-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there, had that problem, got the t-shirt.

Here's what worked for me:
braced the extension. I used my 13oz claw hammer -- it fit perfectly, wood handle braced horizontally against the bulkhead next to the pwr steering fld resevoir. The 1/2" entension rested right on the narror part, near the hammer head. By doing this, it keeps the force from dissapating, and makes sure that you get maximum torque on the valve.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Got a pic to show me that maneuver? :P Sounds like some twister motion we got going there...
Old 03-16-2006, 01:53 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Hi Robin,
Mine was tight as well. Leverage is your friend. I used a 1/2" extension and a 1/2" breaker bar. Popped loose with a moderate/high effort.

A couple of cautions.

1. Make sure the crowsfoot wrench is not binding on anything or you may end up cracking the sai manifold as someone else on the list here did. That sounds like a pain to replace!

2. Put some padding on the side of the engine opening where the wrench will hit. When my valve loosened, it did so abruptly. Don't want to chip the paint...

Good luck.

Pete
Old 03-16-2006, 01:54 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

... do you know if the new sai valve will work on the 993? Would it be an improvement?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well... I have been thinking about that all morning. The new 996 SAI/combo valve requires a new SAI mount, instead of a threaded method, it sort of look like a header type mount. You know two bolt with a flange on either side.

My thought was if it would be possible to find the correct thread adapter to use for our 993 and then weld in a adaptor which will accept the new valve....

Here is a picture of the 99 model 996 with the 993 SAI and check valve.

Here is a picture of the 00 model 996 with the new combo SAI valve and the new mount

I can only assume that since Porsche made a design change there must be a reason. Hopefully not for another cost reduction reason as to fixing a known problem.... So if that's the case, then this valve should be better than the 993 valve.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:22 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check out this thread Robin on C4S_fan's car: It was a pain get out and watch out for the Air distributor housing in the back

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/234296-sai-flush-update-look-at-what-we-broke.html
Old 03-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yikes!!!!

I guess my varioram is coming off..... More space to work with. Anyways, my oil pressure sending unit is bad can't replace it without removing the varioram so.....
Old 03-16-2006, 02:30 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

I bet that two little bolts would make for easier SAI R&R than a big pipe thread. I wonder if there are differences in the valve internals.

Thanks for the great info Robin.

Pete
Old 03-16-2006, 02:57 PM
planeguy67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robin,

My SAI valve was pretty stuck as well, but I used a hammer and cold chisel to break it free. Worked like a charm. Here ismy thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=sai+flush

Good luck.

--Mitch.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Mitch,

Awesome DIY... Why isn't it on the P-car.com DIY? I can't beleive I missed it...

It's funny, my SAI valve top right now have the same cramped look from a vise grip.... that's the 2nd thing I tried. I guess I need to take out my Dremel tonight and do come cutting....

Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, interesting...I'm curious as to whether this would be a good retrofit for the 993. How did you come across this info Robin, and any ideas where we can find out more info regarding the revised design?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:23 PM
planeguy67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Mitch,

Awesome DIY... Why isn't it on the P-car.com DIY? I can't beleive I missed it...
Thanks Robin. The post was something I just slapped together and was really more of a lessons learned than a true DIY. I plan on writing a complete DIY for the SAI valve and post it on my web site when I find the time. I'll provide you the link when I get it done if you'd like to reference it on p-car.com.

Please let me know if you try the chisel thing and if it works. Maybe I just got lucky... this time.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Wow, interesting...I'm curious as to whether this would be a good retrofit for the 993. How did you come across this info Robin, and any ideas where we can find out more info regarding the revised design?

Adrienne,

Like I said, I have the SAI issue with my 996 setting off the CEL, so I have been doing research on this subject. Along with the research I found these information from the 996 shop manual.

This is what I know so far:

(1). 99 996 uses the same exact part number SAI and check valve as the 993
(2). Sometime in 2000 Porsche went with a combined SAI one way way and check valve
(3). I can't find the damn part number of the new valve from PET
(4). I can't find any information from the Porsche technical service bulletin about this new valve update.

Here are my guess:

Porsche found out the 993 SAI is really crappy and don't want to do another recall....unfortunately it was used on some of the 996s, so they quietly inserted a page in the shop manual to tell the techs to upgrade to the new design but without mentioning it in the tech bulletin nor the PET......

yes, I have been watching the movie "Conspiracy theory"....again.....
Old 03-16-2006, 05:25 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if the "new" valve is really a combined shutoff/check valve or just a shutoff valve. Looking at the 993 design I always wondered what the check valve actually did if there was a shutoff valve directly upstream. I realize the check valve is a one-way valve, but if the shutoff valve closes what would the check valve do? Possibly prevent the hot exhaust gases from damaging the shutoff valve?

Ahh grasshopper, many more questions to be answered...

Quick Reply: For those of you that replaced your SAI valve