Sponsored by:

OT: Cayenne in HBO Sopranos

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:49 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default OT: Cayenne in HBO Sopranos

Did anyone see the latest episode? I hear a radio talk show host (Savage) ranting the other night that Porsche must of paid big bucks for product placement. Apparently the show focused on the SUV and even mentioned the name with pneumonic device "like the cooking ingredient".Savage mentioned that the product placements - something like a dozen was shameful for HBO. Kinda reminds me of Cadillac in the Matrix.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:13 AM
truetifoso
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, Porsche did not pay a cent to have it in the show. There was an article in the Chicago Tribune about this. Here is the link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...ck=1&cset=true

Again, NO MONEY change hands.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:32 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the clarification. The article did not come up b/c Im not a subscriber but Ill take your word for it.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:17 AM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Yeah I didn't think Porsche would pay, because than all the Italian american groups would protest them for prepetuating the 'mafia' stereotype. Geez, give me a break. I'm Italian and from NJ and the show doesn't affend me. I know it portrays a small segment of NJ Italians, not all of them.

Also they feature a bunch of cars - Chris's SUV of the day (landrover is the latest I think), Johnny's Maserati and a some others.

You should see the parking lot at some high schools in NJ. They look like an exotic car dealership. Parents and kids try to 'one-up each other'. Cars are the ulitmate status symbol back there in good 'ol NJ.

Matt
Old 03-16-2006, 11:41 AM
mborkow
Drifting

like the cooking ingredient
i believe the actual quote was: "cayenne, like the pepper," which i thought was funny because i always call it "the pepper"

Cars are the ulitmate status symbol back there in good 'ol NJ.
i'm glad none of us fell into that trap
Old 03-16-2006, 03:39 PM
truetifoso
AutoX

NP. The only reason I know that they didn't pay is because I am an advertising executive who subscribes to all of the news sources pertaining to advertising and marketing.

As a matter of fact, years ago I worked for Lexus' advertising agency during the Sopranos' first season. They approached Lexus for some sort of swap deal (cars for exposure), but after much debate Lexus decide that they did not want their cars associated with carrying dead bodies in their trunks.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:49 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

So what about the Pixar film, "Cars"? Looks like a Porsche is opposite the main character. Do you think Pixar and PCNA worked on a deal? It shows the car in a good light....
Old 03-16-2006, 04:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Funny part is the car is either a 6 cyl Cayenne or an S and Tony comes out and says it is a Cayenne Turbo. They never show the insignia but I would guess it is a 6.

Quick Reply: OT: Cayenne in HBO Sopranos