Sponsored by:

Cost of Installing Rotors and Pads at a shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default The cost...

I see you have a C4..if you have a Carrera 4S, those front rotors are about $175 each, the rears about $150...that's $650 just for rotors..maybe about $500 for the standard rotors, figure $150 for stock pads...closer to $500 for Padig Orange + 3 to 4 hours of labor @ $100 an hour. Wow, this job is getting spendy! Fortunately, brake rotors seem to last quite a while...I get about 1 1/2 seasons out of a set of rotors...I change them when the cracks between the holes seem to be interlinking. The rear rotors last a lot longer.

Changing pads and rotors, especially pads, is critical if you track the car. There will be the time at the track where you need to change out the pads and bleed the brakes. As most of us know, rotors and pads are easy to do, almost fun, when you consider what you are doing...that sense of personal accomplishment that we all seem to enjoy.

But for those that want to contract out the work...that is their choice.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:18 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. From my prospective, I dont have 3-4hrs to work on it, dont have the tools, dont want the tools, will never own the tools, and thats the way it is with me. No track time and Im just a free spirited driver. My mechanic is well trusted, honest, and passionate about his work. $300 for an install= 3-4 extra hours of time, playing on the slopes at Snowbird, or just flat out doing something I enjoy. I get absolutely no joy out of working on cars, besides detailing and keeping them clean. Anything that consumes my personal time and there is a service out there for something that I dont have the knack for, Im all over it regardless if I have to pay for it. Not everything but my Porsche a different breed that Im not going to dable my hands in.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:03 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mborkow
that's why you have to selective about who works on your car. to state that every mechanic out there is doing a shoddy job just isn't right. look at viperbob, do you think he was just trying to get his customers in and out as fast as possible without doing the job correctly? no, of course not, and that is how i feel about my mechanic; i have faith that he will do the job the right way, and i can't top his 20+ years of experience working on 911s
I NEVER SAID all mechanics do shoddy work - in fact, I've had mostly good experiences with my mechanics over the years...

I was just making the point that if you know how to install your brakes yourself, you will surely take just as much care as a mechanic, but without the cost.

Personally, this summer I hope that Viperbob will be able to install my new suspension and RS clutch/LWF, because I know for a fact that he will do it right. Plus, he's da man
Old 03-14-2006, 10:03 AM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I NEVER SAID all mechanics do shoddy work - in fact, I've had mostly good experiences with my mechanics over the years...

I was just making the point that if you know how to install your brakes yourself, you will surely take just as much care as a mechanic, but without the cost.

Personally, this summer I hope that Viperbob will be able to install my new suspension and RS clutch/LWF, because I know for a fact that he will do it right. Plus, he's da man
i am sorry if i misunderstood you, but glad that in the end we agree.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:54 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mborkow
i am sorry if i misunderstood you, but glad that in the end we agree.
No prob

I am not some DIY master, I know my limitations and understand the value of a good mechanic. But if I can do the work, I trust myself just as much as anyone else. Which has saved me a ton of money over the years, even though I mostly did the small stuff.

Quick Reply: Cost of Installing Rotors and Pads at a shop