Sponsored by:

OT: Garage Cabinets

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 05:22 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Garage Cabinets

Need some help. Looking to make the garage more like a room than a garage, and want to put a wall of cabinets for storage of all the stuff. Looking for something like this.

Anyone have any good ideas, I am located in Orange County, and don't want to spend a fortune. Some bids have come back around 9K for two walls.

Michael
Old 03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
hotrdd911
Instructor

If you’re not super picky you can pickup some used cabinets at a habitat for humanity sale or just create your own from home depot odds and ends. What type of finish are you looking for?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:04 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

I am looking for a white or light grey, the finish needs to look good, as I want the garage to feel more like a room than a garage.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:06 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was doing my garage I found that anything with "garage" in the title was very expensive, but if you just got regular cabinet (read: interior), they were significantly cheaper.

Why not buy and hang them yourself?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:11 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

"Why not buy and hang them yourself?"

When I go this route, it cost more, as I end up having someone finish the job right for me.

Thanks for the idea.

I really want something that is 24" deep.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:26 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You get credit for being honest.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:39 PM
rnridout
Rennlist Member

Give me some dimensions and I will tell you about what you could get them for. I have some cabinet design centers.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are some OK (rental house grade) cabinets at HD for a good price but they have either white or oak finish on doors with the kitchen cabinet look to them. I wouldn't really go with the knocked down (KD) cabinets as they will cost you a bunch to have them put together if you are not a DIY kinda guy. The KD cabinets are also kitchen looking.

What I have found is there are custom cabinet makers that will build a cabinet package and put plain doors on them that can be painted for a decent price. You just have to look around. There are installers that the cabinet shop can recommend to do the install.

I agree that the high fashion "garage cabinet" "systems" are very expensive. The ones in the pictures have the european feet on them that keep the bottom of the cabinet off of the floor and provide leveling. In Europe I thing there are a number of flats or apartments that when you rent, there are no cabinets in the kitchen so you move your own modular units from place to place. THat is what these are like.

If you have them custom designed and built you can get drawers and slide outs where you want them. That also adds to the cost but you get what you want. You also can get them to go all the way to the ceiling to your exact garage measurements.

I looked at all these options but I decided to build them myself as I have the tools and the skill. I am going to buy the doors however so they match the over flow pantry area that I put in for my wifes entertaining stuff.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old 03-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garage Cabinets

You might try www.OCGarageCabinetCompany.com in La Habra. I got a bid $4800 for 2 walls, floor to ceiling with a custom enclosure for the compressor/watersoftener. Mark seemed to know what he was doing, designed on a laptop in my garage. They make their own cabinets, not try to push standard sizes where they don't exactly fit. I haven't made the move yet, as I have some issues with the floor cracking that I need to resolve first. I have not checked references yet either.

Good luck.

Last edited by Pete Lech; 03-12-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Michael,

I went with slide-lok cabinets. Local bids from the specialty garage store were stratospheric. Go to slidelok.com and check them out. What you see is what you get. No surprises, they come together very nicely and look better than the $$ you spent, in my opinion. Many different ways to arrange them and two different depths.

They have dealers throughout the country but I recall googling them and finding some online dealers who'd ship but its a bit more expensive as they are *heavy*.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:03 PM
tonyarcur
Advanced

Default garage cabinets

Hi Michael: I just finished my garage with floor tiles from Sears and cabinets from Home Depot. I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow. I think it came out great. Tony
Old 03-12-2006, 09:11 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

Originally Posted by Luis A.
Michael,

I went with slide-lok cabinets. Local bids from the specialty garage store were stratospheric. Go to slidelok.com and check them out. What you see is what you get. No surprises, they come together very nicely and look better than the $$ you spent, in my opinion. Many different ways to arrange them and two different depths.

They have dealers throughout the country but I recall googling them and finding some online dealers who'd ship but its a bit more expensive as they are *heavy*.
Luis,

I have requested someone to come out and give me a price. I have heard from two people that have but them in and they have said good things.

Michael
Old 03-12-2006, 09:27 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
You might try www.OCGarageCabinetCompany.com in La Habra. I got a bid $4800 for 2 walls, floor to ceiling with a custom enclosure for the compressor/watersoftener. Mark seemed to know what he was doing, designed on a laptop in my garage. They make their own cabinets, not try to push standard sizes where they don't exactly fit. I haven't made the move yet, as I have some issues with the floor cracking that I need to resolve first. I have not checked references yet either.

Good luck.
Thanks, I will give them a call on Monday.

Michael
Old 03-12-2006, 10:00 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Check out IKEA their stuff is amazingly sturdy. Not sure if you have them in CA or how the price compares to the Garage specific products.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Rand
Instructor

Michael

I do cabinets and am a dealer for ClosetMaid. They have a line of garage cabinets. They come in 32" or 24" widths, 20" deep and 7" tall on adjustable legs. You can screw them together to create a wall of cabinets, 3 -32" will give you 8" of cabinets. I have done jobs in Orange County and wouldn't mind coming down there again. You can pick up the details of the cabinets on the ClosetMaid web site. I'll give you a good price. PM for details.

Quick Reply: OT: Garage Cabinets