Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: BMW X5 Looking for opinions.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 10:01 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: BMW X5 Looking for opinions.......

Thinking about possibly getting into a slightly used X5 and would love to get opinions from you guys if you either have one or know someone that does. I think the 3.0L is out of the question, looking for a 4.4L minimum (something that will tow well). There was a guy at the track this weekend driving a 2000 3.0L towing a 928 on a uhaul trailer. Said it does well but........?

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:21 AM
rkass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, my personal experience after owing the 3.0, 4.4 and 4.6 is get the 4.4; make sure you acquire it in warranty and with enough mileage left (warranty expires 4 yrs 50k) so you can sell in warranty, and you should have no problem getting out of car for what you paid if you acquire right (which given number of them is highly likely). Even if you lose a couple of thousand for 1 1/2 ownership,not bad. Expect one to two trips to dealer to fix the electronic issues that come up. Don't hold car past warranty period or get an extended one. Car engine and transmission holds up well. Electronics not so well in my experience. Dealer will pretty much replace everything wrong during warranty period and perform all required service for you. Car is great hauler, carries quite a bit from my experience, with good snows will get you through anything short of offroading and drives pretty well for what it is - no it isn't sportscarlike, but it does handle aggresive driving better than any suv. I've had them for last six years and have nothing but positive from my experience. I do have a friend who is a dealer that assists me in flipping them re:sales tax so I pretty much don't incur that everytime I replace. Overall good car, great safety and good at what it does with strong resale market - just look for a good deal which isn't too hard given number of them out there.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:25 AM
tessicini
Track Day

A 01 X5 4.4 has been the garage mate to our 993 Cab for the last 2 1/2 years. It has sport package and other luxury adds. It is a great (not just good) handling vehicle. We owned a BMW 540 w/sport pkg prior to the X5 and the feel of the X5 is very similar. We have put 35,000 miles on it, including a round trip accross the U.S. The reliability has been excellent; a few minor issues, tires and oil changes. Good hunting.

Tony
Old 03-11-2006, 10:46 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

was just on a Bimmer forum, seems oil consumption is an early issue (hey there something we know nothing about ). Anything like that with either of you? Suspension seems to be another sticky point as well as the electrical issues. Am I just reading gripes from a few bad apples? Or are these truely inherant problems?
I considered a Toureg (VW) and a Cayanne (?) but the Bimmer seems to offer the most room inside, features, looks etc. I don't need another lemon though......my GMC has given me enough trouble thank you.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:59 AM
rkass
Racer

Chris, never had oil consumption issue or suspension. My experience is if you pull dealer records and there is no activity other than normal service and owner is somewhat **** re: taking care of car, then you probably won't have issues. Seem to me that once you hit 40k or more some small electronic gremlin takes hold, but given warranty you won't have issue re: out of pocket costs. Just wouldn't consider car without warranty based on all bmw prior ownership. Not that cars are lemons, just that dealing with post warranty issues could easily consume 2-3k over several years.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

If you compare the cargo carrying capacities of the X5 to other SUVs as I did before purchasing one, you will find that the X5 doesn't fit as much inside as most of the others. For instance, with the rear seats up, the X5 only has around 16 cu ft of capacity. With the seats folded, it only has around 64 cu ft. As a point of reference, my ML has around 35 cu ft with the rear seats up and over 80 cu ft with the rear seats folded down. For further reference, the Ford Explorer has about 46 cu ft with seats up and 85 cu ft with seats down. I do believe that the T-reg has a much more generous capacity than the X5 as well. Most BMW folks do joke about the e46 3 series wagon having more cargo room than the X5. But, having driven an X5 in a parking lot cone course as part of a GM Auto Show in Motion, I have to say that the X5 handles extremely well.

I definately would skip a 6 cyl if you plan on towing. Before my ML500, I had an '98 ML320 with which I towed our 4500lb Airstream. It did the job, but you had to be patient getting up to speed. And it was really taxed on inclines. I felt like I was really working the V6 too hard. We traded for the ML500 and towing with the V8 is a dream. I would really love to tow with the VW Treg V10 turbo diesel. Too bad they only offered it in '04 and that it cost $20k more than the V8 version.

Last edited by Van1; 03-11-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:52 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Rkass about the warranty. If you are going to go for the 3.0 I would only look at the 6 speed manual as the Diptronis was a little sluggish and the 5 speed is lacking. I would also talk to the local BMW owners club to see that stealer is up to snuff. Where I live there is a Stealer 5 minutes from my house that has to be the worst dealer in California. With warranty work you need to have a good dealer. I would buy one, or even lease one, again.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:15 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

rkass is bang on
Old 03-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

I have been giving the Subaru Forester a serious look. My only complaint is the somewhat mushy and non-deterministic ride, but a heavier sway bar in the rear and better tires/wheels would help a lot.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:21 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I had nothing but little problem after little problem with my 4.4. It did run great and handled like a sedan. It also had the auto leveling feature that helped with towing. It just seemed like it was always something electrical.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:35 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

Default X5

We just bought a 3.0 last month, and it is nice, but I wouldn't be happy with the 3.0 if it was for me.

Nice car, comfy seats.

Michael
Old 03-11-2006, 08:40 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
I had nothing but little problem after little problem with my 4.4. It did run great and handled like a sedan. It also had the auto leveling feature that helped with towing. It just seemed like it was always something electrical.
This is exactly what I've been told by numerous BMW people (one of whom I really trust). The 4.4 liter has a number of problems including intake leaks, cat converter problems, in addition to various electrical issues. Although I was initally looking for a 4.4 (this pains me because I think it's a really stupid car - my other half wants it), I'll be narrowing the search to the 3.0. It's just much more robust.

It you must chose a 4.4 get a warranty. Better yet, buy an M5 or a 5 series wagon (more room).

Joe

1995 Porsche 993
1988 BMW 325is
2001 KTM 400MXC
Old 03-11-2006, 09:19 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, my wife drives an '03 X5 3.0 and it's been a great car. Very comfortable, solid and handles like a sedan. Great long trip vehicle. Not done any towing, however. Purchased in '04 with the warranty. So far, minor issues - electrical related & rotors out of spec - all taken care of under the warranty. We're nearing the 50K warranty end, so we'll see how it goes. I may be wrenching a second German car.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:26 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW... cleaning out my office and came across Consumer Reports 2002 New Car issue of the magazine. The following is their review of the X5:

"The car-based X5 is nimble, comfortable, and quiet-much like a BMW sedan. Driving it is usually a pleasure, but hte ride is a bit choppy at low speeds, and rear-seat and cargo space are modest. The 4.4 liter V8 is smooth and strong but thirsty for premium fuel; the 3.0 liter Six is less expensive and still performs well. The 340-hp X5 4.6is assumed top spot in the lineup last December. The X5 includes stability control and a hill-decent system that substitues for low-range gearing on steep downhill grades. The X5 achieved the highest scores of any SUV we've tested, but its below-average reliability keeps us from recommending it."
Old 03-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Chris...I just traded my 2003 X5 3.0 for a 2006 model...great SUV (or SAV as BMW calls it)...the 3.0 engine is more than enough for me...plenty of power for fast acceleration and very comfortable for both city use and road trips...only two flaws...the cargo space is limited and the rear view sucks... very hard to see anything on reverse! Other than that, a great car...

Quick Reply: OT: BMW X5 Looking for opinions.......