Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: BMW X5 Looking for opinions.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:18 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pedro, ever tow with it? Guy I met last weekend said it towed his 928 just fine. Seems to hard to believe.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Chris...I have never towed anything but I'm pretty sure you have enough power to do so...I've seen a couple of 3.0 X5s towing small boats around Miami...
Old 03-12-2006, 12:47 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Got an '05 CPO last spring with 6K mi and the 3.0. (5 yr/100K mi warranty & covered maintenance were good attractions).

Came out of the '00 ML and had planned on buying a new ML, but between ML salesmanship/(lack of) and the new styling/test drive I was turned off to the car.

A: The 3.0 is pretty weak. It's the family car, and we don't tow so it's fine, but it's light on the acceleration front.
B: Good mileage for an SUV, we avg 22 mpg.
C: Lousy cargo space, I rationalized that it wouldn;t be a big deal, but it's always crammed full. The ML was cavernous in comparison.
D: Drives/Handles/Comfort much better than the ML. Awesome panorama roof.
E: No problems in the first year.

Good luck!

Last edited by LuftKopf; 03-12-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:02 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

I have an '02 4.4i and LOVE it. Sport package, premium package, etc. I've towed boats and zero problems. It is big, safe, and handles like a sedan. I have low 40's on the mileage. The factory warranty expired in December but I have the option to have it extended (with an after market package that my buddy who works for BMW recommends over the BMW one) as long as I do so before 50k. Kind of expensive to do so. I did extend the Service Agreement. The only thing replaced is the brake pads I can't say enough good things about my car...no electrical problems, nothing, zero, nada. I'm putting new tires on it when I get back from the sandbox next month.

My wife and I debated selling it and moving on while it was still under warranty but since I bought the car, I figured out that it would have cost me big to have done so. We are going to hang on to it because we really do enjoy it. I think the world of these vehicles.

Dave
Old 03-12-2006, 04:18 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife just got rid of her Range Rover and picked up a 2003 X5 3.0 with the extended warranty to 100,000 miles. The difference is like night and day in terms of handling, performance and reliability. The options include HID lights, navigation, and sport / premium package.

BTW, the April Auto issue of Consumer Reports recommends the 3.0 over the 4.4 or 4.6 based on reported reliability history. Good luck with the search.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:20 PM
STAR57
Racer

I have had a 2001 for 3 years, I did not buy it new, I like the looks but I have had a few problems, occasionally the emergency flashers come on as I start the vehicle and the inside lights are on.
This has been troughlly investigated by BMW under warranty and we thought that it was looked after but it still happens.
Because of the above I have had a discharged battery a few times.
The suspension needed a fair bit of work at (60K miless) 100K Km's, front upper sway bar links and rear upper control arms.
Its possible that it may have been driven hard before I got it, however it did not show any visible abuse.
I love the way it shows and the design is very nice, the inside is not very roomy and not as confortable as one may expect from a vehicle of that type and price range.
The handling and looks are great and thats the reason I still have it, as a licensed car wholesaler I can buy pretty much anything for personnal use and if I dont like it I can blow it off and still possibly come ahead, having said that I dont know what else I would buy, the Jap SUV's are really boring, I would consider the X3 with the new 3.0 255HP, the ML 350 is not winning any awards for quality, another X5 could even be the choice.

Good luck to you .

Quick Reply: OT: BMW X5 Looking for opinions.......