Sponsored by:

PPI etiquette and one more...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:58 PM
visible23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI etiquette and one more...

So...I've found a car I am interested in but I don't know how the PPI is handled...do I negotiate a price with the dealer contingent on an acceptable (to me) PPI? Or do I get the PPI and then negotiate a price (or don't) based on the results?

Also...what is that thing that is stamped with the RUF logo? Why is it there? Is this an upgrade, a sticker or something standard to all C4S's?

Ready to be humbled by the collective wisdom of this savvy group, I remain:

M
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2006, 01:07 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

m,
Since I was the guy who took that pix, I can say it was just a decal and if there had been any RUF mods the seller would have disclosed that when I was there.

FYI, that's the cabin heater blower motor assembly

By the way Black Forest will do a very thorough PPI for $230.00

ZP44
Old 03-09-2006, 01:15 PM
visible23
Instructor

Zombie! I apologize for not giving you photographic credit...busted! I was going to bask in the glow of the pending accolades. Shucks.

Thanks for the heads-up re: Black Forest.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:15 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 419 Posts

I would negotiate a price beforehand with the onderstanding that the vehicle meets your satisfaction after a PPI. Why pay for a PPI before you know what the final price range is going to be? Same as buying a house- offe and acceptance first, then the inspection.

Good Luck!
-Jim
Old 03-09-2006, 01:19 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember...you get what you pay for. Negotiating the price lower may cut out some of the inspection time. $230 sounds about right to me.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:35 PM
pastpob
Advanced

Originally Posted by rcwelch
Remember...you get what you pay for. Negotiating the price lower may cut out some of the inspection time. $230 sounds about right to me.
Actually, I think he meant negotiating the final price of the actual vehicle and not the price of the PPI.

I agree with Jim, negotiate the price first and agree to that, pending a PPI that gives you satisfying results.

Good luck!

H
Old 03-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I would get the PPI done first. That way, you can negotiate any thing that comes up in the PPI into the price of the car. Or if the PPI reveals something major or that it is a total POS, you can walk. Anyway you do it, negotiate before or after, you will be paying for a PPI regardless of wether you buy or not. If you negotiate price first, then get a PPI and find out the cars is a POS and decide not to buy because it didn't meet your satisfaction, you will still be paying for a PPI. Or if you try to renegotiate the price based on findings after the PPI you paid for, the owner might not be willing to accomodate. Just becasue you spend a few hundred to get a PPI done, don't feel obligated to buy the car.

The end result will be the same either way. Good luck with the deal.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:55 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 419 Posts

Forgot to add that, if there is an issue and you still desire the car, you should be comfortable with re-negotiating another lower price to account for that issue.
-Jim
Old 03-09-2006, 01:57 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

M...

Definitely negotiate the price contingent upon a clean PPI. It is likely that there will be an issue here or there (large or small) as a result of the PPI... it puts you in a much better position when negotiating these items if you have a solid and comfortable starting point.

Just my $.02 and good luck!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:06 PM
tbil
Racer

No affiliation.... but you will be pleased with what the $230 buys you at Black Forest. Very knowledgable, thorough, value oriented
Old 03-09-2006, 03:42 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

When I sold my *near* perfect SC we knew the price before going into the PPI. When the tech said there was a slight weeping on one of the oil lines and that he would definately not replace it until it was leaking, the buyer demanded 500. I caved, but that 500 bought me the crest off the hood. He would have bought the car even if I had'nt caved for sure but I did mention that I would concede if he gave me the crest... This story had PPI in it so I guess it belongs...
Old 03-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Lerxst
Racer

+1 on negotiating a price first, based on a clean PPI. If the PPI uncovers something that costs $5000 to fix, then the price should be adjusted appropriately.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

How many miles on that car? The stickers and entire engine area look clean. I guess I need to detail mine.

Greg H.

Quick Reply: PPI etiquette and one more...