Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Distributor repair questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 07:43 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default More Distributor repair questions...

I am in the midst of replacing the distributor belt... it is all apart on my work bench. Question, what parts get lubricated with the Bosch grease? I see the remains of some grease on the inside of the belt housing, but I know you don't want grease on the belt. The secondary ball bearing appears sealed? I did not look all that close. Where else?

For anyone trying to remove the distributor from the engine, I found that it helped to carefuly spray some PB Blaster (penetrating oil) on the stud and where the shaft goes into the engine. Also, I did not want to hammer or force the distributor, so I used a full size crowbar and was able to get the curved end under the primary body and have the curve against the engine and kept applying a rocking force. It did take a while... then suddenly it moved about a 1/4" out. A little more and I was able to pull it out. No hammering, but I did curse alot!!!!!!

Any input is much appreciated
Old 03-09-2006, 11:37 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might PM Robin Sun (Robin 993DX) as he just performed this distributor maintenance. There's a pretty recent thread as well.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Belt replacement is complete!!! I applied the grease at and under the little plastic rub pads and pivot points of each advance mechanisms.

Everything went back in correct the first time

From the first time I took the car out for a test drive and now again a couple of days later... the car/engine feels smoother, tighter, responsive than before. I don't know if this is just a false preception or what. The car has only 33K miles and the old belt looked 'fine' but since I was in there, I changed it anyway. I was getting some random misfire on cylinder 3 and 6 and that appears to have gone away.... so far for now. I was careful to try and route the cables better. But the car seems to run better. Ten year old belt..., I reccomend replacing it!!!!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Great work!! Job well done!!
Old 03-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What else did you do? Changing the distributor belt should not have made any difference in the engine's performance.

Quick Reply: More Distributor repair questions...