Don't want a house payment anymore

Sounds like the NC to me...
Old 03-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tobyport
Bull-- They are more fun to play when you don't have to pay the $300+ for a round! Golf=Organised Walking!
Never paid $300...usually it is a Charity Tournament...at $15,000 for a foursome! You haven't seen me play, or you wouldn't say "organized"!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys, thank you for all of the input. Definitely welcome more if there are any.

How about the weather? I remember when I was in Georgia, there were about 6 month of Califronia weather (spring and fall), and then there were the summer torture, and the winter cold. Which still wasn't bad compare to Rhode Island where I spend my teenager years.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:43 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Very very very very active PCA in Charlotte..which is not too far from CH..talk to the folks at Exclusive motors...they run the show. Lots of p-car folks down there...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:10 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Robin, for weather. Summers.....hot, winters......colder than CA. Instead of snow you'll get wintery mixes. To get away from that, you'll have to either go west (get more towards the snow) or east towards the beach (to get mostly winter rain). The roads get better the further west you go as does the scenery. Gets warmer the further east you go. As far as hurricanes, you'll get hit no matter where you go in the state, I still think we at the beach make out the best since our flooding rains have somewhere to drain to (the ocean). No good Porsche shops here......hell none at all maybe a good venture for ya.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

At my last high school reunion, about half the folks there came up form the Charlotte area. They all love it. I've only heard good things.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:11 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

My sister recently moved to Charlotte. Loves it. My parents retired to Beaufort (NC) and love it. We'll probably follow suit in a few years...

Good climate, genuine people, and a nice mix of mountains and beaches

Andreas
Old 03-09-2006, 01:34 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in Durham, and it is a good place to live. Compared to the NE where I grew up, houses are far less $$. Public schools in Durham ain't so great, Cary and Chapel Hill better. The whole area is growing very rapidly, generally, and so long term it is still probably not too bad as far as real estate - hasn't risen crazily like other places, and the popoulation is going up and up.

As far as things to do, there is plenty. Take advantage of Universities nearby, and it can be quite fun. I do miss a downtown like Cambridge or Boston,etc, but not all that much. Acces to the RDU airport is easy, and there are many flights that are convenient, to most places you want to go (admittedly, many require stops).

As for the remainder of NC, if I had a choice, I'd live out either in the mountains somewhere near Asheville (blue ridge parkway, lots of fune driving, beautiful scenery), or in Wilmington in a nice old house near the coast. My job won't permit that, thoguh, and I can drive to either place easily.

Charlotte is a bigger city - the triangle (Raleith, Durham, Chapel Hill (and now Cary) - is more spread out with less of a defined downtown.

PM or email any time, glad to help in any way I can.

P.S. Yes, I miss real winters. There is sometimes snow, but more often freezing rain which sucks. Spring and fall are lovely. Summer.... is like D.C. hot and humid, though the air is not as dead as in D.C swampland.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:36 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

actually some good porsche shops in Cary, local independents in Durham area, and Charlotte and further west is racing country, after all... they even know something about Porsches!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:38 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a Duke grad, I LOVE chapel hill. I would live there in a heartbeat.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:39 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, yeah, one last thing.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Anywhere in NC, Va, or SC you will find a value compared to CA. If you really want inexpensive try Danville, VA. near VIR and the home of a major Porsche race team. http://www.synergyracing.com/about.htm We could use a good Porsche shop in Winston-Salem.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:23 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Hey Bill, long time no see 'round here lately, doing okay?
Old 03-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Hey Chris, congrats on getting your DE Instructor license. We were just down to move my son for the 6th time....I think he will finally graduate in May...Yaaaaah!
Old 03-10-2006, 05:10 PM
993inNC
Race Car

He on the very multi year plan
thanks btw, yeah I'm having a blast instructing. Meeting some great people as well as gaining some new friends outside of the track time. Score so far: 2 out of three green students got it. One out of one Blue really got it! Its a great feeling to be able to get this stuff through to someone and watch them blossom right in front of you (or next to, as the case may be). My green that didn't get it was sort of disappointing on a personal level........can't get 'em all I guess.

Make sure to say hello if you get down here again.

Sorry for the hijack Robin

Quick Reply: Chapel hill, NC a good place to live?