Sponsored by:

new 993 owner, a few {stupid} questions.long

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:06 PM
bobinbuff
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 993 owner, a few {stupid} questions.long

Greetings all from beautiful Buffalo where you REALLY have to think hard about rationalizing the purchase of a convertible. I just took delivery of a 97 c2 993 cab. This is the logical progression since I have owned a 73, 85, and a 90
911's all targas. My mechanic currently is sorting out the car and it seems fairly solid but I have a few issues. The car has no cab cover [or boot?] I guess. Can the car be driven with the top down without covering the fabric top? Also the
ignition key doesn't seem to want to come out of the slot easily.The cars is a tip so I wonder if I just need to push the stick into park more? The alarm sets itself automatically and after turning the car off I need to hit the alarm button twice {arm/disarm?} before the car starts again. The car had the cab motors repaired under recall just before it sold to the dealer I bought it from but the
dealer didn't indicate any other service so should I just do a 30k service and change the plugs etc since the car has 32k on it now? Are there any links to threads anyone could suggest listing common problems with this particular
model.I'm sure I speak for many on this forum that the lines and performance of the 993 are truly lovely and I can't wait until I can use it as a DD. Thanx
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Congatulations ... I doubt the alarm arms itself automatically, but the car will not start after the key has been removed for over three minutes (see the immobilizer section in the manual). Accordingly, as you have discovered, you have to lock (and arm) and then unlock the car before the immobilizer is deactivated. You can also put the key in the ignition if the car has sat unlocked, turn to the on position, and then before starting push the button once after which your leds should flash and the car will start.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:53 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

only real problem with driving without the boot cover is your headliner could end up getting messed up if you drive fast for a long period. As long as you are not doing 70+ I wouldnt worry to much about it. Those covers cost a lot but are alot cheaper then a new top!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a boot on Ebay now, item # 8043781804
Old 03-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bobinbuff -

Congrats & welcome to the Cab/Tip Club. As Jim noted a boot cover is recessary if you plan on spirited drives for any length of time. If you don't already have a windstop for the car you may want to be on the lookout for one of those as well.

Best wishes and Happy Motoring

Quick Reply: new 993 owner, a few {stupid} questions.long