Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 09:05 AM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f_scaife
Paul,

could you give us a quick comparison between your stock SUV springs and shocks and your current setup? How much less confidence, (if any) does the M033 setup give you versus the PSS9 TRG setup?
I'll be glad to give you my opinion on this, but please remember that my levels of confidence are subjective and personal, and also that I'm just a simple street driver who occasionally enjoys trying to fling objects from my passenger's lap. That being said....

The stock suspension had a little over 40k miles on it, and it felt jittery around town and "floaty" on the highway. I've seen other posts with similar descriptions, and this is normally an indication that the suspension is shot. ("Tired" may be a more accurate description if the shocks are not leaking or physically broken.)

The PSS9s with TRGs make you feel like Mario Andretti. If you ever watch any races in the American Le Mans Series, look at how tight the cars are, and how bouncy they look on certain parts of the track. The PSS9s/TRGs feel similar to how that looks. :-). (I do regret not having taken the car to the track with this setup)

I haven't had the M033s/stock sways for more than a few days, but as I've said before I'm really enjoying them. The ride is firmer than I remember the stock setup to be, yet not as harsh as the PSS9s. I feel like I have a new car, and I want to drive it everywhere!

Lots of great suggestions on this thread!

Kelly - before deciding to replace the PSS9s, I did manage to alleviate much of the bouncing that I initially complained about by raising the overall ride height by about an inch. I did this myself, but did not get the car re-aligned (or corner balanced), and to avoid getting flamed for doing something I probably shouldn't have, I chose not to post about it.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:10 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul -

What made you opt for the M033 (for others, the M033 is the original constant spring rate..springs) instead of the M030 (the M0303 is the progressive spring rate springs).

Did you need to rebuy stock sways or did you use your original ones? If you had to buy, may I ask how much they were?

Now that my stock springs and stock sways (27K miles) are off my car, I was considering posting them on eBay and see if there was any interest by those, such as yourself, that want to go back to a somewhat softer ride.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:36 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Paul,

i'd like to bring a picture of your M033 setup to my shop for the final adjustment. can you email me a full side view as well if you have one or any other pictures of the final product? or anyone else that has the M033/M030 setup.

Thanks.....jteague@ptc.com
Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I had my car corner balanced and aligned with me sitting in the seat......
Now I look for really light instructors when I go to DE.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:01 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Paul -

What made you opt for the M033 (for others, the M033 is the original constant spring rate..springs) instead of the M030 (the M0303 is the progressive spring rate springs).

Did you need to rebuy stock sways or did you use your original ones? If you had to buy, may I ask how much they were?

Now that my stock springs and stock sways (27K miles) are off my car, I was considering posting them on eBay and see if there was any interest by those, such as yourself, that want to go back to a somewhat softer ride.
Jeff,

Several others have asked the same question via private message. Basically, I decided on the M033 specifically because I wanted to return the car to stock ride quality but also be able to lower it at least to RoW specs. My thinking was that Porsche engineers knew what they were doing when they selected the original springs, and so when you buy a Porsche, it's going to ride like a Porsche, not a Cadillac. Also, every time I've been in a car with a "sport" suspension, regardless of manufacturer, I always felt it was a bit too harsh for street driving. But that's just me.

While I was still deciding, I asked expressed my concern that the ride might be TOO soft to Gert. One of the things he said that sold me on the M033 was that this suspension was the stock suspension on most of the European C4S cars, so it couldn't be THAT soft.

friar93 - I'll email you a few pictures ASAP.

Quick Reply: A tale of 3 suspensions, and how to properly measure ride height