Dual distributor line up question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dual distributor line up question

Prior to taking the dual distributor apart I took some pictures and made some pencil mark as to the positions of the 2ndary rotor compare to the primary... Well after much scrubbing I erased the pencil mark. So the only I have to go on is the original picture prior to disassembly.

Just want to check with the board before I put this thing back to my car, the part I have question about is the position of te 2ndary rotor. From the original picture it looks like the rotor is timed for ahead. In other word when the primary is in top dead center ready to fire the #1 spark plug, it looks like the 2ndary is already firing. Can anyone confirm that's the original design spec on the 2ndary rotor?

In any case, after I put it back together the 2ndary rotor is lining up just like the primary ready to fire on the TDC position.

Here are some pictures

Here is prior to taking it apart, notice the 2ndary notch is just a little pass the distributor cap screw post

Here is the assembled picture, now both the primary and 2ndary line up exact with the distributor cap screw post

Old 03-05-2006, 12:44 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Robin,

IIRC, these two points are your refererence for TDC.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2006, 12:45 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Forgot to include, you may wish to install both dizzy caps and look where number one cylinder is in relation to where the rotors point.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Chris,

Now I am confused, when I lined up the crank to TDC the rotor were pointing towards the distributor mounting screw position, in relation to the cap it is right before hitting the number 1 cylinder position...

Oh Oh... something is not right here

When I line up the primary rotor to the mark you suggested the 2ndary also line up perfectly with it's respected position. So I guess I have the belts line up correct?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:35 AM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

Hey Robin

I'm a long time fan of your DIY.
Also, I purchased a set of your RSR back in '01. They sound sweet.

Anyway in the January PANORAMA (page 98) a gentleman named Mark Cohen advertise for the distributor belt replacement. Kind of like your RSR's, you send him your distributor, he replaces the belt, inspects and replaces the bearings, and then mails it back to you. Fee $150. I just got off the phone with him. Sound like a great guy. His phone is 770 365 1601. He maybe able to help with your questions. He was also a fan of your DIY.

Hope this helps

Kevin
Old 03-06-2006, 02:07 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 425 Posts

Hey Robin - Chris marked the secondary distributor's TDC mark, but NOT the primary's - the primary's TDC mark is further clockwise, at about 8 o'clock in your picture with the rotors installed. It does appear your belt is installed correctly - you just need to rotate everything further clockwise before installing.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Hey Robin - Chris marked the secondary distributor's TDC mark, but NOT the primary's - the primary's TDC mark is further clockwise, at about 8 o'clock in your picture with the rotors installed. It does appear your belt is installed correctly - you just need to rotate everything further clockwise before installing.

So, are these the proper TDC marks, then? I am not sure from the pic which is the primary distributor but I am assuming it is on the left.

[edit] Also, I've got the Bosch dist grease. What parts need to be greased?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Paul902; 04-04-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Additional question
Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, those points are for tdc #1. But when you rotate your crank, the tdc Z1 mark can be #1 OR #4 as the crank turns twice for each cycle. Don't install your dist pointing to #1 with the engine pointing to #4. So it is best to validate your rotor position before removing your distributor. Get it on known #1, then remove and reinstall on #1.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:56 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

And yes, primary is on the left in that pic - where the electrical connection is. Check this out for more info and pics... http://p-car.com/diy/dualbelt/ I don't remember a second notch though on mine.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

So far I have changed the belt several dual distributors, and management the process in about 2 hour including remove and install in the car.

The only difficulty I have is to get the drift pin to smash properly. What tools or method are you guys using to do that?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Brian!! That's just the info I needed. Last night I did the easy bits - removing the blower motor and the distributor caps and left it there til I verified this info.

Robin...As I have never done it before, I was thinking I'd try biting down on it with my front teeth. I was actually thinking of crushing it in my bench vise.

Oh yeah, where do I apply grease??
Old 04-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Robin, give Mark Cohen a call. He's the man. Very responsive and helpful. He walked me through this two weeks ago.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The drift pin is pretty hard steel. I pounded it with a drift/hammer, and got it to spread enough to ensure it stays put, but nowhere near as flat as the original.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

I had a bit of a tough time getting the distributor out but eventually it came out by hand after some prolonged pulling on it.

When I pulled out the main shaft the belt cog stayed on the shaft and the belt BROKE!!! There were two other weak looking spots on the belt. Man, I am sure glad I decided to do this job when I did! Sorry, I did not have my friend's camera, so no pics.

I got the new belt installed, rotors realigned and good to go except for that darn pin. It is harder than I thought it would be... It was around midnight so I thought I'd stop for the night. I was hoping to crush it in the 8" vise, but the jaws are too fat to fit between the housing and the helical gear. Tonight I guess I'll go at it again with a punch and a big

Overall the job was not as difficult as I thought it might be. I had Brian's DIY and two other postings printed out for cross-reference. Thanks guys!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Told you guys the dewel pin was difficult!!!

Quick Reply: Dual distributor line up question