Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gear oil for your 993

Boy and girls,

Here is a gear oil that's specifically made for our 993 trans/axle environment with added friction modifier for our synchros to work correctly when cold. It is both GL4 and 5 which is perfect for our transaxle boxes.

I haven't had the chance to try this in my 993 yet, as my 993 is shifting perfectly right now (don't want to mess with a good thing), don't know exactly what I have in there, for sure it is Swepco 201 as base and some additive added in. Have over 30k miles on it now, like I said it is shifting perfect, so I am not going to chance it.

So... back to the original subject. The previous stupif California yuppie owner of my 996 didn't baby the 2nd gear synchros so I was suffering some 2nd gear cold shifting problem. And decided to experienment with some special mix fluid to see if it would help with the symptoms. Long story short, the fluid didn't work out really well at first, actually made it worst... come to find out it was the idoit me that didn't follow the filling capacity by the manual and over filled the slush box.

Well, after draining some of the fluid I found the transmission to be in perfect working order. The cold shifing problem is very slight now, almost all gone. So the fluid certainly did what it was advertised to do, from reading the tech information from the web site it does sound very convincing, and I like it. And will be using it in my 996 for now.

Just FYI.

The fluid is made by a company call Specialty formulations, the web site is:

Here is the link to the data sheet on the product that I used. MTL-R
http://specialtyformulations.com/

http://specialtyformulations.com/MTL-R.htm
Old 03-05-2006, 02:24 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Robin,

I've tried Swepco 201 and now Mobil 1 in an attempt to improve cold shifting. The Mobil 1 may be slightly better than Swepco, but I still get a little "click" shifting into third when the transmission isn't fully warmed up. I just ordered a gallon of the MTL-R, and I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:55 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I've tried Swepco 201 and now Mobil 1 in an attempt to improve cold shifting.
i had thought that swepco (which i currently use) was better than mobil 1 for cold shifting...oh well, shows what i know.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well, Swepco is better for cold shifting than Mobil 1.

Going back to my records, this is what I tried.

Mobil1, Redline, Dino oil, Swepco 201 (with additive)

From my research (sorry not a chemical eneginner so the lingual may not be correct)...

Our transmission is a combined transmission and differential design so typically GL5 would be great for differential application but terrible for the synchors, GL4 is good for gear box application with synchros but not good enough for the high pressure envirnment for the differential.

So... theoritically GL4/GL5 mix with friction modifier should be the best blend. I think even Porsche uses a different mix for the 993 from the factory, which is stuff you can't get here. Same for the 996, the recommended oil for the 996 is something like the Shell transaxle and Mobilube something like that. Which neither is avaliable in the state unless you go through the dealer at $55 a quart.

I called a Shell enginner and had him look up the composition of the Shell transxle, which he said that there isn't anything in the US off the shelf that's comparable. So.....

I am happy with the performance of the MTR from Specialty Forumlations, I found the information from a site call "Bob the oil guy", is a discussion board completely dedicated to oil. I was amazed by the contribution and inputs from everyone concerning this subjest, and the MTR was the one that everyone recommended there.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:23 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks Robin ... I just ordered a gallon of it to use with the installation of my new Guard 40/60 LSD ... will report back ...
Old 03-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After 92K miles on Mobil 1 75W90 in my '95 993 with no material synchro or shifter trouble, I'm sticking with it (still on the original clutch, also).

However, same fluid in '98 Audi A4 Quattro absolutely stunk. Right after the tranny fluid change I thought I destroyed the tranny. Switching to Red Line 75W90 cured all the gear banging/grinding/nonshifting I was getting with Mobil 1. Go figure.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robin I'm curious what the "additive" is that you used in your Swepco201. I had the same symptoms you described on your website after I switched to Mobil1. Redline was only slightly better. Sweptco is the best by far for me but I put it in without any additives.

Thanks in adavance!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Chris at Newport motorsports added it in for me when I took my car there for some hydraulic lifter replacement last year. When I explained the symptoms to him he knew exactly what to put in, and soon after my 993's transmission cold shifting improved 100%.

You may want to call him and ask him.

FWIW, that's another good place to have your car serviced, resonablly priced and good work.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Default eek

Thanks Robin....I'm gonna try this too....you're the 993 man. Only surprise to me is that YOU LET SOMEONE ELSE TOUCH WRENCHES TO YOUR CAR! I'm shocked...the earth is tilting on its axis...

JoH
Old 03-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well... I knew someone was going to ask about that. I took my car there because i trust Chris and I was also in the middle of a transition moving from Miami to Los Angeles without my own house (was renting). July 2005 I purchased a home in Chino hills, and have been slowly getting back into thing. You should see my garage now.... :P
Old 03-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
home in Chino hills...You should see my garage now.... :P
Dude, I've been there! How soon they forget

to you...I'm just another Bischoff.

I feel so...so....

so much BETTER when I drive through parking garages...

JoH
Old 03-08-2006, 12:54 PM
tbil
Racer

Thanks Robin, sounds good. Mobil 1 isn't working for me at all in the 993.
1st, 2nd and even 3rd are clunky when cold.

Just ordered the gallon, $40 bucks with shipping.

Last edited by tbil; 03-08-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

tbil - when you say Mobil 1 isn't working for you, what symptoms are you having and which car (993 or 996)?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:28 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mobil 1 75W-90
Old 03-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Chris at Newport motorsports added it in for me when I took my car there for some hydraulic lifter replacement last year. When I explained the symptoms to him he knew exactly what to put in, and soon after my 993's transmission cold shifting improved 100%.

You may want to call him and ask him.

FWIW, that's another good place to have your car serviced, resonablly priced and good work.
WTF man?!

Ok, ok, just giving you hard time, already saw (and knew) why.

Thanks for the tip, I should change my tranny oil soon but I already have 4 quarts of Mobil so now I don't know whether just use that or get this stuff...

Quick Reply: Gear oil for your 993