Carbon fiber ventilation bypass tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber ventilation bypass tube

Hi all,

My blower motor recently started squeaking. I was looking to replace it when someone suggested the RS ventilation bypass tube. After researching and reading the pros and cons, I decided it may be something I'm interested in.
This would be a good weight savings as well as more being convenient for me to service the car when the times comes since there is less to take out.

I found one at Pelican Parts that I like, but I was wondering if any of you 993'ers have had any experience with its quality?
I am cautious when buying carbon fiber without references. If this were some sort of metal, it wouldn't be an issue.

Pelican says their CF tube is 7.9 oz instead of 15 pounds for the whole blower assembly. (Though I weighed all of my blower assembly and tubes to be just about 10 pounds, that's still quite a difference.)

Picture:

Does anyone have this installed or have any experience with it?

Thanks,
Harry

Last edited by Euromagination; 03-04-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

I have one of those c/f tubes on one car and a factory tube on the other, they are both nice pieces, they both work and fit fine
Old 03-04-2006, 03:34 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

These are all made by Thom Fitzpatrick in Sacremento. You are better getting one directly from him. I posted some caveats about the RS and CF tubes recently. There is a slight reduction in engine cooling with them versus the fan assembly. Not bad for most street driving. Hot days on a track and I would just block the opening off the fan.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by viperbob
These are all made by Thom Fitzpatrick in Sacremento. You are better getting one directly from him. I posted some caveats about the RS and CF tubes recently. There is a slight reduction in engine cooling with them versus the fan assembly. Not bad for most street driving. Hot days on a track and I would just block the opening off the fan.
I was reading about the slight reduction in engine cooling, but I didn't see any details on why this was happening? Is it because the rear blower motor rids the area of warm air faster by pushing rather than just having the front blower motors pulling by themselves?

I saw that some people were blocking the opening of the fan for hot days as well as track days. Is it really that big of a concern?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:56 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

There is a flapper valve in the fan assembly controlled by the CCU. If you do not need heat, it closes and all the air from the fan goes through the engine. The RS pipe removes this flapper. So air is always flowing from the fan, through the pipe and down under the motor. Now if the vents are closed on the inside cockpit by the CCU saying no heat required, this air just goes out through the vents under the engine.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber ventilation bypass tube