Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked rear window..help???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:38 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How does a stiffer or softer suspension cause the rear window to shatter when the car is standing still?

All of mine shattered with the car parked on flat level ground, engine off, no one in the car.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 AM
lucroberts
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: I know this Thread is one year old but I'd like to check if anyone who had their window exploded were able to fix it under Porsche Warranty latlely. I just had mine blown out this morning. I was using the defroster for the first time as I bought the car one month ago. I was driving on the highway and suddenly it exploded. My 993 is a 1996 model, manufactured in 10/95 and the only mod is the Einbach Springs & lowered suspension. I have 17" original wheels with Potenza Tires. By the way, the Porsche dealer asks for $870 on the part alone , which will probably come up to the $1,100 with labor. In my case I think it's 99% chance to be related to the defroster. So now, how can I make sure I won't have to pay $1,100 every time I push a button on the dashboard ? Any thoughts from you guys are welcome.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:25 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer fixed it as goodwill, not really warranty. I talked to them nicely about how many other 993s had had this problem, and they admitted they were aware of it. I think the friendly approach to getting goodwill will get you farther than confrontation demanding warranty work.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:31 PM
lucroberts
Rennlist Member

You were lucky. I turned in the car and the Service Advisor I got was pretty new. Never heard about this issue. Anyway, they will call me with a diagnosys on the defroster switch and I'll ask for goodwill (nicely of course). !
Old 07-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe (bet'cha!) Porsche adopted a new interval in the assy' chain to attach the rear window to the frame shell in '96. If the body was tweaked even a little when it was glued in, it will be under stress when loaded up or even sitting on the ground. Drive it around a little - stress it - rest it - stress it - BANG. My guess is that it has absoltuely nothing to do with the light.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:23 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine exploded while sitting still in the garage. No defroster use. I had been out for a drive, it sat quietly for a good hour or so, then while I happened to be standing next to it.....BAM! Like a gunshot!
Scared the **** out of me! I think it is more stress from repeated body flexing, nothing to do with the defroster.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:53 PM
lucroberts
Rennlist Member

If so,would you re-adjust the stif suspension I have to a smoother one in order to absorb part of the vibration ? I don't track my car and would not need such a low height.

Quick Reply: Cracked rear window..help???