97 C4S w/ 50,000 miles...why not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 11:02 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by visible23
Thanks for the encouragement. I have very little doubt that I will fall deeply in love with the car if I was to buy it. I suppose that was really what I was looking for...nudges in the direction I already know I want to go in. But...

...I was interested also in what to look for as I go about the buying process like what mborkow mentioned, the CEL (what the heck is that anyway?). Anything particular to these cars that I need to pay extra attention to as I and a good shop give the car a thorough PPI?
visible23

I sent you a private message.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:37 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I just saw a C4S with ski racks at Randolph Racing outside Boston yesterday(maybe a Rennlister?)....what a great way to travel. Just watch the potholes and expect it to get dirty, I lived in the city for 5 years with a 325 convertible and its a tough daily driver in the city from about Dec-April until they start filling in the holes and cleaning the streets. I eventually just had to buy a 4Runner for the winter
Old 03-01-2006, 02:12 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would venture to say none of us actually needed our 993's, we just wanted them. Group therapy for actually buying this car is included with your rennlist membership, so get your butt down there and buy the flippin' car so we can all feel better about promoting this particular mental disease.

Good Luck............ZP44
Old 03-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd look into whether the car needed a new clutch soon, then factor that into the purchse. Evidence of accident damage and repaint should be investigated and factored in. Recent maintenance history, whether the 30K service is due, tires, and state of other consumables should be considered, because if this is all due at once it can cost a considerable amount. When I bought my C4S with 80K a few months ago I had the bumpers pulled to check for frame damage, evidence of an accident, just to be sure even though the Carfax came back clean. Some people will pay for accident repair out of pocket to keep the car's record pristine. I also had a compression check done on the engine. An important, and difficult to ascertain, element of the car's state of well-being is current oil consumption. If the car is burning more than a quart of oil per 1K miles then it is a sign that a top-end rebuild may soon be due. The valve-guides will need to be replaced during rebuild, and this can cost around $5K. Besides that, you should just be aware that you are buying a car that will soon be ten years old, and that there are likely to be unforseen repairs that will need to be addressed. Having said that, I must report that the last few months in my '96 C4S have been the most enjoyable driving I've ever done. Simply standing beside my car and looking at it gives me considerable satisfaction. Driving it puts a huge smile on my face. Good luck in your search,
Mark
Old 03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

visible23,
Give the "search" tool a try. Type in PPI for one search then type in CEL/SAI for another. Grab a sixer and be prepared to read for the next few hours Lots & lots of great information in the archives on these two subjects in particular. Good luck.
Dave
Old 03-01-2006, 04:16 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did my clutch with 50,000 miles on the car. Before the clutch actually starts to slip, you can usually tell if its near the end of its lifetime if most of the clutch action happens at the top of the clutch throw (plate getting thin). My car was like this for a year before it finally started slipping just last week.. As others have mentioned, also get a good PPI that includes both pressure and leakdown tests.

Go for it !
Old 03-01-2006, 04:28 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a good ppi will not tell if there are clogged SAI ports, right? if there are clogged SAI ports plan on a min $1k to fix (and maybe as much as $6k). i am not saying that you shouldn't get it; i am saying that you should know what you are getting into.

Quick Reply: 97 C4S w/ 50,000 miles...why not?