Sponsored by:

Need advice, almost buying a Carrera 2 tip

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:32 AM
964polar
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need advice, almost buying a Carrera 2 tip

I am working in Italy on a 3 year contract. I sold my 964 in Sweden and now I want to buy my first 993. I found a car which is well serviced and all seems to be fine. Only thing I am doubting about is the fact that this is a Tiptronic. I have driven these as well and like them. One argument would be that the italian traffic is awful and my wife could/would maybe use this car slightly more.

The car has done 102000km (63k+ miles) I will probably get it for 26000 euros.
It has the S front and some Aero side skirts, full leather, many options
Attach some pics. Ideally I would like a Silver manual with black interior.

Will I regret buying this car, I am pretty close because I have looked at so many cars in not perfect condition.

Last edited by Henrik Hammarvid; 02-28-2006 at 07:40 AM. Reason: pics attached
Old 02-28-2006, 08:33 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Finding the right 993 is never an easy or fast process-at least for most of us. If you really desire a silver car with a manual tranny, I would keep looking. Just my opinion.

Al
Old 02-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Henrik,

I've had both a Tip and 6-spd 993 (had the tip in my first 993 cab...since have bought 2 manual 993s). I will say...the Tip is pretty good. It's much easier to drive in traffic and when driven in manual mode it is fairly sporty.
However, I have to admit that I tired of it and missed the sporty feel & driving of the 6-speed. Having had both, I'd much rather drive the manual even in traffic - it's an easy car to drive in traffic. Plus, when you get to drive some of those wonderful roads in Italy.
Cheers,
Rick
Old 02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik Hammarvid
I am working in Italy on a 3 year contract. I sold my 964 in Sweden and now I want to buy my first 993. I found a car which is well serviced and all seems to be fine. Only thing I am doubting about is the fact that this is a Tiptronic. I have driven these as well and like them. One argument would be that the italian traffic is awful and my wife could/would maybe use this car slightly more.
Hi Henrik...this is a very personal matter...many "manual tranny owners" will vouch for their cars and many "tip owners" will swear the tip is as good as...the thing is: You'll be the one driving the car, hence you should test drive both in order to make up your mind...my personal option was a manual tranny car as I personally think a Porsche needs a clutch, but many disagree with me and they could be right...buy the car you want for your own pleasure and get a FIAT to your wife!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you already are concerned about the tip (for a good reason, we're talking about a sportscar), don't get it.
You're exited to get a 993 (again, for a good reason) but don't jump in it if it isn';t the way you like it.

Look more and at least get the car with manual transmission, with the color I think you can compromise a bit even if you don't find the silver car.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:14 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Real sports cars have manual transmissions, not automatics..............my 02c......ZP44

Quick Reply: Need advice, almost buying a Carrera 2 tip