Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love the key retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 01:00 PM
pastpob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I just bought a 97 993 and like everyone here, I want to get rid of the switchblade deal. But, the PO of my car only had one key so I am interested in doing two of these key fob/separate key combos, maybe three so that I have spares. How do I go about doing that? Thanks in advance!!

H
Old 03-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I already have one key converted as it was done by the PO, but I dropped the key one day and the fob came open. I thought I found all the parts (one battery, spring) and put it back together, but to no avail.

Appartenly, looks like I am missing the other battery. Do you guys know where I can find the battery?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:36 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought new batteries the other day at Radio Shack but expect there available just about anywhere that has a good assortment.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbil
Just bought new batteries the other day at Radio Shack but expect there available just about anywhere that has a good assortment.
Do you know offhand the battery model #?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
tbil
Racer

Just one battery in the remote, RadioShack 12V says Remote Control type 23A.

You might check that it's in right + / - if it's not working. I've made that mistake a few times with aging eyes......
Old 03-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Just one battery in the remote, RadioShack 12V says Remote Control type 23A.

You might check that it's in right + / - if it's not working. I've made that mistake a few times with aging eyes......
Only 1 battery, eh? B/c the p-car.com diy shows two batteries and says "Third, place the two batteries on the spring. Positive side up. ", but maybe that only applies for the LED light?

Thanks. I will check and see if I have the batteries upside down then.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM
troutrover
Advanced

Default Group Buy

While we are talking keys and remotes....From what I can tell by the price that remotes go for on eBay there is a big demand for them. Would people be interested in a Group Buy on a remote/retro key combo? I know that I would

Cheers
Christian
Old 03-01-2006, 08:59 PM
tbil
Racer

Sorry Arrwin, previous post was in reference to the battery in the remote or fob, not key. But same unit as in the photo in the original post.

Just opened up my key and there is only one battery in there as well. Looks like a fat watch battery, says made in Germany Varta V 625 U if that helps, no other markings. P-car write up is using a different configuration light and batteries. Not sure if the LED requires different voltage or if the two batteries are a cheeper replacement for what may be a somewhat unique battery.

As I only got one key with my car, I would be interested in a group buy but need key, fob and all the guts that go with it.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:49 PM
troutrover
Advanced

As I only got one key with my car, I would be interested in a group buy but need key, fob and all the guts that go with it.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Key head, blade, fob and internals just like that shown in the first post of this thread.

Should we start a new thread about this topic?

Cheers
CB
Old 03-02-2006, 01:37 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Sorry Arrwin, previous post was in reference to the battery in the remote or fob, not key. But same unit as in the photo in the original post.

Just opened up my key and there is only one battery in there as well. Looks like a fat watch battery, says made in Germany Varta V 625 U if that helps, no other markings. P-car write up is using a different configuration light and batteries. Not sure if the LED requires different voltage or if the two batteries are a cheeper replacement for what may be a somewhat unique battery.

No prob tbil. Opened up the key and the battery was in correctly. I'm guessing I need a new bulb or a battery, which incidentally I found both at Pelican Parts.

The only thing fishy is that the light stopped working after I had dropped it. Does your key have this spring shown in the p-car DIY? Mine doesn't. Just wondering if I lost that piece.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:48 AM
pastpob
Advanced

Originally Posted by troutrover
That is exactly what I was thinking. Key head, blade, fob and internals just like that shown in the first post of this thread.

Should we start a new thread about this topic?

Cheers
CB

I would definitely be interested in this. I only received one swithcblade key with my 993 so I want the new style but need the "guts", key head, key blank, and key fob. I called my local dealer today and they quoted me about $150 for all of it which I already think is robbery, but then told me that it would also take one hour of labor to program the key to my car!! C'mon that seems ridiculous!! Almost $300 for an extra key?? I guess I better get use to it owning a Porsche!!

Last edited by pastpob; 03-02-2006 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:32 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

count me in on group buy!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:45 PM
rampfar
Instructor

I would also be interested in group buy.....
Old 03-03-2006, 05:10 PM
tbil
Racer

Arrwin, yep small spring is there under the battery in my key head. Think it's needed to put the return into the button and make contact.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:14 PM
zekksw

Wow…this is the second DIY mod I have done, first being bumper plugs.. I am on a roll…

Quick Reply: I love the key retrofit