993 Forum 1995-1998

SMOG - no ready codes, no prob!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMOG - no ready codes, no prob!

When I picked up my 97 C4S a couple of weeks ago, the PPI report said that the ready codes are not set, most likely due to the car sitting for the winter and the battery drained.

I talked to Steve W because the car has a GIAC chip with his software. Steve W told me about the drive sequence and I searched the forum and read about it. Basically, it is impossible and impractical for me to try to set the ready codes myself. One of the forum thread mentioned that he left his car in a highway rest area overnight, so that he can start the engine cold and initiate the drive sequence. I am just uncomfortable about leaving my car in a rest area. Plus, it sounds like it'd take days for the codes to set, even a drive sequence was completed correctly.

One member in one of the threads suggested going to a referee station and that's what I did.

Wow! What a positve experience. I called the California DMV line and was able to talk to a live person within 3 minutes. She was able to find me an opening within 2 days. I picked the Skyline College location in San Bruno. I arrived there 30 minutes early and they did not make me wait at all. Within 30 minutes, they completed the test and I was out of there.

The young people at the Skyline College referee station were also very nice and extremely careful with the car, making sure my car doesn't get dinged. My engine lid has a new pair of shocks and it pops up strongly. They even make sure they put their hands on it before opening, so it doesn't damage the hinge.

The cost was only $38.95 and is actually lower than what I normally pay at my neighboring gas station which does SMOG.

Anyway, highly recommend the SKyline College referee station for anyone who need to get SMOG tested in the Bay Area.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Bokonon
Instructor

Great post Paul. This is exactly what I could have used about a month ago. I am saving this one for 2 years from now when it comes time to do the madness again! -terry
Old 02-25-2006, 06:24 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Congrats. There have been a number of posts on this topic in the past few months. Hopefully one of these will come up in a search for future reference. I know Jim Morton and a couple of other folks did this recently too and posted here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferee+station

Quick Reply: SMOG - no ready codes, no prob!