Sponsored by:

Fan Polishing - Just SC's/Carrera's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 11:54 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

There is always the magnesium FAQ over at Metal-Finishing magazine. The QA section is even better (search on powder & magnesium.)
Old 02-27-2006, 12:35 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

From next door...

Just another photograph on the same basic theme:
"The Blades"...
Old 02-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Marc how did you get that finish? Is it silver paint or polished? Maybe someone can ask over at the PCA tech site what material the fan is made from. Someone has to know this. I really like that polished look. Hmm lets see black shroud and polished fan...sounds awesome
Old 02-28-2006, 12:13 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Other than looking good, what's the point of polishing or painting/powdercoating the fan? It won't cool any better and actually may be not as efficient due to the uber smooth surface.

Just curious to hear the various reasons behind this kind of investment.....................ZP44
Old 02-28-2006, 01:35 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Other than looking good, what's the point of polishing or painting/powdercoating the fan? It won't cool any better and actually may be not as efficient due to the uber smooth surface.

Just curious to hear the various reasons behind this kind of investment.....................ZP44
Top 10 Reasons to Powder Coat and Polish your fan

10) **** off those with no rear engine and a plastic fan
9) Alternator fails every 3 months, so what the hell
8) Nothing on Speedvision but Nascar
7) Forgot a shim so it’s a freebee
6) 25 extra cans of paint in my garage
5) Bored, with 2 six packs and nothing better to do
4) Provides 5 to 10 extra HP depending on color selected
3) Passes inspection because inspectors don’t notice missing cat
2) Provides a good conversation piece when a cop pulls you over for speeding
1) Lighter colors cool the air better

Just kiddin of course. Actually, you are correct. It is purely for looks and provides an inexpensive way to personalize a car; and because it's out of sight, it's often done purely for your own personal satisfaction. I track my car and have not seen any negative impact on its ability to cool. As far as price, I paid $40 to have my housing powder coated and since I polished my fan, it was just the cost of my time. Actually, I polished mine during commercials while watching a F1 race on TV. They really look great polished. You do have to be careful if painting the fan and not make the paint so thick it interferes with the clearances. Then you can end up spending more time and effort than its worth.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the top ten.....very funny. Since most of your investment is time, it's not a big deal financially and it did keep you out of the titty bar for a few hrs............

I think I may give it a whirl..............going to the titty bar that is, not polishing my fan..........lol

ZP44
Old 02-28-2006, 02:00 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Thanks for the top ten.....very funny. Since most of your investment is time, it's not a big deal financially and it did keep you out of the titty bar for a few hrs............

I think I may give it a whirl..............going to the titty bar that is, not polishing my fan..........lol

ZP44
How did I forget that reason? Sounds like I need a top 11 list with this one as number 1.

Quick Reply: Fan Polishing - Just SC's/Carrera's?