Sponsored by:

upgrading car stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:49 PM
dcchen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading car stereo

after a few months of dealing with a cassette deck and cd player in the trunk and paper speakers, i finally started upgrading my car's audio system...bear in mind, i have never done this before (at least never by myself)...changed the deck out with a kenwood 25th anniversary deck..not too hard..i was surprised, the factory deck came out relatively easily and the crutchfield wiring was dead on (what is that green wire that is attached to the factory deck cage?)...next installed a phoenix gold xenon 2 channel amp in the front trunk (wouldn't fit under the passenger seat)...that wasn't too bad either since the PO had a cd changer in the trunk, there was already a hole to pass through the wiring...this weekend, i am changing out the speakers...inifinity 4x6 in the rear and component diamond audio hex 6.5" in the doors...will post a few pics once i get done...thanks for all the great help in the archives...great resource...
Old 02-24-2006, 01:40 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Green wire is part of the alarm. You need to isolate the wire from the cage (usually) when you replace the head unit (if you replace the cage for the new unit that is).

If you let the green wire connect to the body (ground) it will cause the alarm to think your stereo is stolen and when you go to arm the system you'll see a double flash of the LED's to signify a fault.

Common issue, if you search for "green" and "alarm" you'll get a rash of hits.

Enjoyable to DIY isn't it!

I replaced my head unit with a Blaupunkt Seattle MP74... pretty darn good, and looks OEM is a "new" kinda way.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:41 PM
carrera79
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi,
i replaced mine CDR21 and the amp under the right seat with :
a becker mexico pro mp3 (wich can handle an ipod! )
an axton 4ch amp under my seat (had to make some modifications !!! )
an activ sub clarion under the right seat (also hard modifications)
a 2 way canton speaker in the front,
4"x6" speaker clarion on the back.
now i've what i wanted for my music.
fred
Old 02-27-2006, 12:22 AM
dcchen
Intermediate

Default finally finished installing stereo

took a while, but i finally got it all in...had some trouble with the deck...crutchfield wiring diagram was a little bit off...speakers went in fine...but the tweeter was a pain in the butt to install...getting the speaker wire into the door was a PIA as well...sounds great though..well, worth it
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: upgrading car stereo