Sponsored by:

Textar Pads/Zimmerman or Porsche Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:36 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Textar Pads/Zimmerman or Porsche Rotors

Its brake time all the way around. No track, only street driving.

Is Textar for pads a good choice or stick with Genuine Porsche?

What about Zimmerman rotors vs. Genuine Porsche?

Here is my list I have put together and will get them from Pelican. Im getting a little front end vibration so going replace the bearings. I have 53k miles on the car. Am I missing anything for this brake pad and rotor upgrade?

1 crossed drilled Genuine Porsche rotors
2. Textar pads
3. replace rear and front sensors,
4. anti-squeel pad inserts ?????????
5. front and rear wheel bearings
Old 02-20-2006, 05:51 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Just had my street pads renewed. They came in a Jurid box.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:52 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Unsure about the rotors, but OEM pads are Textar ( I would definately go OEM). I wouldn't worry about replacing the sensors. Re-use the old if not broken. As far as the spider anti-squeel junk, pry them off of your new pads, and throw them away. Just my $.02.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree that OE pads are Textar - and are great for the street.

Can't remember thoughts on Zimmerman rotors. Did try one set of el-cheapo aftermarket rotors; warped them badly in 10 minutes on the track. Aways went with Porsche rotors after that.

RE sensors and anti-squeal garbage; you don't need them. Pad thickness is easily checked just by looking in at the calipers and pads thru the wheel cutouts around the spokes, and Textar pads don't cause squealing (or if you're scared, spray them with some anti-squeal stickie spray available at any auto parts store before you install them).
Old 02-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I thought Zimmermans were disparaged for track driving. Not sure how they fare for street stuff.

Textars and Jurids are OEM pads, the former being the better pad, as well as a fine, novice track pad.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand that "Porsche Rotors" are Brembo and highly preferred for wear characteristics over Zimmerman rotors.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:25 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
No track, only street driving.

Is Textar for pads a good choice or stick with Genuine Porsche?

What about Zimmerman rotors vs. Genuine Porsche?
Make sure you buy genuine OE and not OEM, they are not the same.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:20 AM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm told that Porsche OEMs several brands of pads...not all are Textar.

I went with Textar brand (not in a Porsche box) and OEM rotors...everything is working great, despite a local shops insistence that ALL pads (including Textar) will squeal. Conversely. I have yet to see a Rennlist post that says the Textars squeal...seems like more shops should spend time reading these posts...

These were assembled sans sensors and spiders.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:56 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM (Porsche box) Textar pads with OEM Porsche rotors which are zinc(?) coated.

No spiders or sensors.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:36 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did all round switch last Octoberish....Textar plus OEM rotors, plus spiders and sensors ..... I got the lot from Sunset Porsche...best price going at the time and very helpful......Why did I not go for the Zimmerman.....1. - the hats rust making the sight through the rims less than desirable, so you either need to spray or get something else, 2. - I have heard, but have no personal experience, that they are more prone to cracking 3. - when I had them on my 951 they squeeeeeelllllllleeeeedddd so much I replaced them and the noise went with them....I did nothing else but replace rotors and the noise went.......so my two cents is textars plus OEM rotors......up to you if you want the spiders and sensors....I did just cos I wanted to.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Textar, Jurid and Pagid are all oem suppliers of pads, the ones that you get through the dealer network are not necessarily the exact same compound as those purchased through the aftermarket.

The same is true of rotors, the Porsche and aftermarket are from the same manufacturerer(s) but the Porsche ones will have corrosion resistatant paint in the hub area, aftermarket will not, there are anecdotal reports of different metalurgy as well, it's hard to imagine that being true, from a production point of view it makes no sense, but who knows?

To me the easiest to clean are the Pagids, the Textars leave a reddish dust that is a PIA to keep clean

All 3 make for fine street pads, except for the dust, of the 3, I liked the aftermarket Pagid Blue best, but have heard good things about Ferodo as well, I think Steve Weiner likes the Ferodos
Old 02-21-2006, 07:10 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although Im not a expert by any means with my 993 from a mechanical standpoint , I do my share of research and get opinions on everything I have upgraded over the past 3 years.

I ping Steve W. on occassion (including this exact topic yesterday). Usually when I ping him and get an answer I will still come to a forum and get opinions and not to my suprise, Steve W. is always on the money!! Steve did my ECU upgrade and has helped on other things.

Senors and spiders are probably not that important and looks like Im ready to get the ball rolling in the next few months with my rotors and pads.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Quick Reply: Textar Pads/Zimmerman or Porsche Rotors