tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 95.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:30 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can i add to the confusion, or its probably just my confusion. I got Adrian's 993 book, and since I just got some fresh brake fluid to bleed brakes, I thought great, now I have a manual. Well, in the book it refers to this hydraulic pressure accumulator - i have a 95, and according to my window sticker, it has LSD with ABD. do I have to follow this procedure? The book does mention clamping off the vent hose - can bleeding the brakes really be this complicated??
Old 02-16-2006, 09:38 PM
zwoobah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planeguy67
Thanks Bob,
However, I can't help but think there is still waxy residue remaining in the brake system (stuck to the inside surfaces of the calipers, lines, etc.). Since the wax must come from the fluid itself, I imagine it will slowly dissolve over time back into the new fluid.
I would bet that the wax is not necessarily from the fluid, but from the plastic of the brake fluid reservoir. I've seen this happen a few times when the fluid goes an exceptionally long time without being changed (once was on an older Audi that had sat in storage for about 6 years). If that's the case, it will not be reabsorbed by the new fluid. I would follow VB's abvice and completely remove each bleeder screw, to make sure there's not any "clots" in there. Even after you do that, changing the brake fluid again in 6 months or so is a very good idea, as there is probably wax in the lines as well.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:12 PM
planeguy67
Advanced

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I just us the power bleeder for air...no more than 15 PSI. I check the master cylinder after each caliper so I don't bleed out the system. I add brake fluid as needed...this way the Motive Power Bleeder stays clean. It works for me!
Now you tell me. Where were you when I bought the darn thing???
Old 02-16-2006, 10:17 PM
planeguy67
Advanced

Originally Posted by epj993
I believe the vent tube appeared on '95s but was capped off on '96-98s.
That is correct. The Porsche Service Manual says, "The overflow hose/venting hose has been omitted as from October 1995; see Technical Information, Group 4, No. 16/95."

The hose is still there on my '96 C2, so I clamped it off just to be safe (wiping up brake fluid is such a drag).
Old 02-16-2006, 10:27 PM
planeguy67
Advanced

Originally Posted by kcwsJim
Well, in the book it refers to this hydraulic pressure accumulator - i have a 95, and according to my window sticker, it has LSD with ABD. do I have to follow this procedure? The book does mention clamping off the vent hose - can bleeding the brakes really be this complicated??
It is very confusing and had me baffled for a while as well. I'm not sure where I read it (maybe it was here on rennlist!), but I believe C2's use a vacuum brake booster and may be bled/flushed like a "normal" car while Turbos and C4's use a hydraulic boost pump with accumulator that requires a few extra steps.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this so you don't break your car listening to me.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:15 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

planeguy67, do a search, i think you will find this issue a couple times. it is the brake fluid itself breaking down. you will also notice many people here will advise you to change the fluid on a regular basis and use a good quality fluid.

good luck!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:46 AM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Planeguy,
My first brake bleed was similar to yours. I had to resort to a carefull brake pumping. The fluid never really got moving like I really expected but I did get all new fluid in the system. The good news... the next brake bleed (about 9 months later) went great. No pumping needed and the fluid flowed nicely. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:08 AM
planeguy67
Advanced

Thanks Joel. I plan on flushing the brake system again later this year after I give the new fluid some time to absord some of the impurities in the lines and carry them out.

Quick Reply: Help! Brakes won't bleed.