Sponsored by:

Thank you Tony Callas

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 02:10 PM
edrewitz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you Tony Callas

Last weekend at the POC LVMS event Tony was nice enough to lend me his experience and time to check out some nasty behavior on my car. Tony and his crew were busy supporting some other racers. It was quite a showcase of racecars out there. A bunch of cups, turbos and RS/RSR's.

So I had this nasty vibration in the front wheels between 50 and 65mph. The car has always had a slight vibration which has been slowly getting worse, until the end of last weekend where now it's about unbearable. I have two sets of wheels and tires, so no obvious wheel, tire issue. Tony had a looksee and it appears my front controll arm bushings are shot. The verdict is still out because I havn't looked at them since I got back from the track but they should be more torn up now(slight cracks visible at the time). Wheels are vibrating more than ever.

I ordered some new RS control arms from VB - Thanks Bob

It gets better, my car also threw a CEL - p1140. Thanks Loren for letting Tony use your PST. Car appeared to be running Ok until the end of the day right in time for my TT, there was some weird hesitation and it felt a little low on power. At least that's my excuse for running so slow. Martin S. only a second or so behind my turbo on this fast track. On the way home I notice Only .4 Bar and a whooshing sound from the turbo's. DOh.. Diagnosis still TBD on this one too. Waiting for the control arms to take the car in to see Dr. Hergies.

All in all I would say it was a great weekend regardless. And since I feel like thanking everybody today too. Thanks John Gordon for the window net. What a guy!

Sorry for the long winded post, I just wanted to say how lucky we are in So. Cal to have such great mechanics willing to lend a hand. And to all of you Rennlisters close to Torrance, lucky you.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking edrewitz post....aka Dr. Dre

I too pestered Tony Callas for some info...considering that he was running a professional crew for a GT2 and a GT3 Cup Car, it is amazing that he had a nanosecond to talk to Dr. Dre and me...but he did. This guy is incredible. As we all know he was with Reiser Callas racing Reiser Callas Racing in the late 90's and achieved major wins as a priveteer team against the Porsche factory and others: USRRC GT3 Champions 1999 and ALMS 3rd in GT 1999. His shop is Callas Motorsports located in Torrance, CA, right in the same complex as Johnson's Alignment, home of Steve Alarcon, Suspension Specialties. You South Bay and Westside Porsche owners have a goldmine at these two (2) shops.

As Dr. Dre will tell you, Steve Alarcon also did a consult on his car's suspension problems...when you have Tony and Steve on a problem...you are in very excellent hands.

Dr. Dre...it was a pleasure hanging with you and Kelly this past weekend at the POC Time Trial and Cup Race at LVIR...what an incredible track. My poor, tired olde 993 would see 135+ down the front straight, damn that is fast, lap after lap. With about 300 minutes of track time over the three days and @ 2.00 minutes a lap to make the math easy, that's 150 laps...or 150 times the car went from 135 mph down to about 60 mph...in addition, there are two (2) additional 4th gear straights with about 100mph terminal velocity incorporated into each lap....my car performed flawlessly, with nary a hitch. I bled the brakes once, just as insurance...I probably didn't need to. Damn these 993 cars are well put together!

Dr. Dre did beat me by 1.1 seconds in the Timed Runs...I was feeling thats not so bad..he had me by 100hp (albeit {I know, its not a word but I like it} his car is 300 Lbs heavier, and now I find out he was running on 50% boost and his front end was falling off.

Dr. Dre and I will be out to Willow Springs International Raceway with the POC for Time Trial #2 in April. Check out the POC schedule...it is awesome: WSIR in April, Cali Speedway for the Tribute to LeMans in May and back to Willow in JunePorsche Owners Club

I had better shut this down...note this is post 2,499 for me

Quick Reply: Thank you Tony Callas