Sponsored by:

Ticket for no front plate in California

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Martin, your cousin in W. New York (which is in New Jersey), should leave the plate off. I carry mine with the "braket is broken, ordering new" (which is true....someday) story. That usually gets me by, and when I am doing something much more costly, it allows me to end up with a no-plate ticket instead of the high dollar/points ticket. No plate = $47 and no points on the license in NJ.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:36 PM
GeezC4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah guys.....Here's in Northern Cali, they has been a increased push towards ticketing those vehicles without a front plate. Not only will police officers give you a ticket, but so wiil meter maids if they notice it

Personally, I see it mostly in those cities that utilize "cameras" at intersections for red light runners. Cities like San Francisco "will" more than likely give you a ticket solely because of this. Also, if you get stopped for something else, they'll add the "no plate" as a "fix-it" ticket.

I guess it's just a roll of the dice for all of us, myself included
Old 02-14-2006, 10:37 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In South Pasadena the @#$#%$s have the meter maids drive around and give you tickets for no front plate and if your wheels are not turned, apparently all streets have a grade that will make a car roll out of control.

What pisses me off is that they charge an additional 25 bux to check the ticket off. West Hollywierd is the same way. As for lot C at LAX those ******** are jealous of your car and that you are traveling.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Stupid question likely but would putting the license plate in the windshield when parked work? I keep mine in the back seat.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:00 PM
GeezC4S
Racer

Originally Posted by Midnight C4S
Stupid question likely but would putting the license plate in the windshield when parked work? I keep mine in the back seat.
I would think so.....as long as the plate is visable from the front.....
Old 02-14-2006, 11:28 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's time to invent some sort of spring loaded plate holder that fits flush and is hidden. When you park or get pulled over, pull a lever and it pops down and locks into place - a la James Bond's Aston Martin Maybe an oil slick too, just in case
Old 02-14-2006, 11:46 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

http://www.hotrodproducts.com/RetractAPlate.htm :-) Would take a good deal of work to fit into the bumper, though...
Old 02-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a requirement on the size and the style of the front plate?

I mean if there is no requirement, then we could just custom order our own style of plate (I.E. German style), but have the correct plate number and letter and be legal?
Old 02-15-2006, 12:25 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine didn't have one one when I bought it, the salesman said he has been ticketed in CA for not having one.

With that said, I have been driving for 4 years without one in CA and have had no problems!

Not to say I will never, but I have a very jaded, middle age look on my face and the cops think that it is probably best to leave me alone
Old 02-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Reynard38
Pro

9/11 my ***! The laser speed guns need a flat reflective surface to work and a plate is ideal. Follow the $$ trail!
Old 02-15-2006, 01:04 AM
donsacto
Racer

Robin:

Here's the Vehicle Code regulating license plate size http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4852.htm
Old 02-15-2006, 01:21 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Montana has the same law. I've been pulled over several times for it and take the warnings. Looks like I ain't getting out of it with the move to Germany though. I'm trying to figure out how to mount euro size license plates on a US spec rear bumper!
Old 02-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front license plate officer? I don't need no stinkin' front license plate.

Scott
Old 02-15-2006, 02:56 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by djordan
They say they are enforcing the law due to 9/11
That's so ridiculous. You could ask them instead to keep a closer eye on the thousands of people illegally crossing the US border every night

As for the front plate, when i was in Sweden I used to keep it in the front trunk so I could tell the officer that it came loose earlier that day. Seemed to work
Old 02-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by epj993
It's time to invent some sort of spring loaded plate holder that fits flush and is hidden. When you park or get pulled over, pull a lever and it pops down and locks into place - a la James Bond's Aston Martin Maybe an oil slick too, just in case
Eric, I have planned for a long time to look into where I can buy one of the devices that the dealers use around my area to temporarily attach a dealer plate to a car for test drives. My friend owns a high-end used car store, almost exclusively late model p-cars. They use a device that is "rubber", which holds the plate in one end and has a think section on the other end. In the middle is a very thin section. They open the rear lid and then close it on the middle/thin section, with the plate hanging down close to where we mount them. I see no reason why this wouldn't work for the front of the car. It could be put in place when parking out amongst "them".

I haven't been motivated to pursue this as we don't have the prob of getting a ticket while parked (or I park in the right places).

Quick Reply: Ticket for no front plate in California