Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Tips Rule?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 02:11 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

911/Q45 speculated on the 993TT forum that the Tip may accelerate faster because it can shift faster and therefore not lose and need to regain boost. Drag racers have been using auto trans for years because they are consistant and faster, and don't beat up the drive train like a manual gear box. I remain in ZP44's corner, however... I really like a manual gearbox despite its old school nature. I can also switch on my own headlights and windshield wipers (if I had any), thank you very much anyway.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
I thought that American drag racers/hot rodders have known this for years.
Absolutely.

Two reasons, first, the shifting is faster by 0.2-0.3 s in a good automatic system (including clutch engagement), second, in most acceleration tests including the quartermile, a tiptronic will have changed gears once less than a 6 speed.

Put back an old 5 speed gearbox on a 997TT and you will see who wins.

Within the same gear, a 6 speed will beat a tiptronic due to its shorter ratio.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:06 PM
tam993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche needs some help, may be they are using something like the F1
manual shift is OLD SCHOOL

the new 575M Maranello’s transmission also has the F1 gearchange, developed directly from the marque’s experience on the Formula 1 tracks. The F1 gearchange is an electro-hydraulic system controlled by two paddles on the steering wheel instead of the traditional gear stick and clutch pedal. The F1 system offers the following improvements over the traditional system:

* Shifting up and down through the gears is faster than with a traditional gearbox and the accelerator can also be fully depressed during shifts
* Drivers can select a gear without taking their hands off the steering wheel
* More comfortable control (no clutch pedal)
* Safer as it prevents driver error
* Protects against over-revving when going up and down gears.

The F1 gearchange is about much more than just improved performance, however. It is also part of an integrated driver control strategy on the car. The F1 transmission works in conjunction with the adaptive damping management and traction control, giving the driver the opportunity to select different performance parameters, for either a sportier or more comfortable ride, at the touch of a button.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people just don't understand...
Old 02-14-2006, 08:49 PM
TargaTango
Racer

Just for the record it is a Tip and not a DSG:

Press information, February 13, 2006, No 11/06
World premiere of the new 911 Turbo at the Geneva Motor Show

"The 911 Turbo with the optionally available Tiptronic S automatic transmission puts in an even more impressive performance. An optimized setup gives the vehicle the wherewithal to power from zero to one hundred in just 3.7 seconds and to reach 200 km/h after a mere 12.2 seconds. "

Another interesting feature:

"The vehicle’s flexibility can be enhanced even further with the optional “Sport Chrono Package Turbo”, available for the first time. Here the driver selects the “sports button” adjacent to the gear lever to activate a short-time “overboost” at full throttle. This increases boost pressure in the mid speed range by 0.2 bar for up to ten seconds; torque rises by 60 to 680 Newtonmeters. The time required by the 911 Turbo with manual transmission for intermediate acceleration from 80 to 120 km/h is reduced by 0.3 seconds to 3.5 seconds."

All the best,
Old 02-14-2006, 09:06 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see which car is faster around a track, auto (tip) or manual gearbox.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:38 AM
tam993
Instructor

the boy racer manual shift is a thing of the past regardless what type of auto shifting is done.
as far as tip on the track, I've been there. no difference, may be because half the people out there on the events are not what they think they are with the car.
I find it's usually the indian and not the arrow that makes the difference.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:58 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tam993
I find it's usually the indian and not the arrow that makes the difference.
It might make a difference if the indian has an extra arrow..
Old 02-15-2006, 10:57 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Got news for you guys, manual shifting is old school....
I suspect the manual will always be around.... because it's "cheap"
I think that you ARE correct that newer methods [DSG, SMG, etc] are starting to gain popularity, there will always be people [like me] who consider self-shifting as a huge portion of the driving experience. Sounds like most companies, at least in their performance models, don't want to alienate by only offering a 2 pedal transmission--the BMW M5 was originally only going to ship with SMG, but AMERICAN prospects bitched about it and BMW is coming out with a 3 pedal manual for that car!

From my point of view, nothing compares to the purity of a perfectly matched heel-toe downshift or rowing through the gears yourself. To each his own, but if the manual transmission goes away, I guess I'll just be stuck buying "old school" cars. Fine by me!

the boy racer manual shift is a thing of the past
Since when is manual shifting 'boy racer'? I always thought that was putting a super spoiler and VTEC stickers all over your car.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott
Old 02-15-2006, 11:10 AM
ecobb993
Racer

nothing compares to the purity of a perfectly matched heel-toe downshift
I have had many stick shifters over the years, some (Alfas) taught me the tricky double clutch technique on all downshifts (which I still do out of habit, regardless of what manual shifter I'm driving), so was skeptical about how enjoyable the Porsche Tip might be. As it turns out, I have found it's quite a rewarding challenge to learn how to properly match revs downshifting the Tip.

This car has become just as much fun, always manually shifting up and down, but without the clutch hassle when stuck in our heavy traffic.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:23 AM
mborkow
Drifting

with the manual transmission i feel closer and more connected to the car. manual isn't about speed (not for me anyway) but rather about driver control and being that much closer to the engine and mechanicals.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:25 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't think we'll see manual transmissions offered much longer by any manufacturer. Manual vs Automatic is one thing, but most manual drivers will probably enjoy the paddle-shifters just as much (if not more) than a manual. So there goes the market for manuals, except for a few die-hards like us, who are not a big enough demographic for the automakers to worry about. Hey look at Porsche, all their cars are already luxury GT machines to fit the market, because enthusiasts are less and less relevant.

As soon as the manufacturing costs come down enough that semi-automatics become comparable, bye-bye clutch pedal. I think it's inevitable.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:42 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

pcar964--you are probably right, as unfortunate as that may be. I am driving my Dad's old Daily driver, an e46 M3 with the SMG gearbox. I have been driving it for almost 3 months, and I can't say that I like it much--it's ok, but is really annoying when you have been used to driving a 3 pedal manual all the time. Downshifting is the worst--I never seem to be able to blip the throttle at the right time, and BMW's tranny [at least the SMG-II in this car] doesn't match revs, so you either get thrown through the windshield or accelerate as soon as the car dumps the prior gear in.

I wholeheartedly disagree that true manual lovers will love a tranny where you don't have absolute and full control...if this car matched revs with downshifts, it would be MUCH better, but I still really don't like not having my own clutch pedal. It still takes a lot out of the experience. On a track, it would be great I'm sure. On the street, I'm not sold by any means. It all comes down to opinion, but like I said, I will probably end up driving older cars with true manuals for the rest of my life....
Old 02-15-2006, 01:12 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove the F360 with paddles and did not enjoy it either. Maybe after getting used to it I'd like it, and from what I've heard about Ferrari manual shifters the paddles were an improvement. A sports car w/o a manual just reminds me of those 10 speed bikes that shift automatically; nuff said.

Last edited by TroyN; 02-16-2006 at 12:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Tips Rule?